Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Web site not responding.

Bill_Wells

I had that problem earlier today. I went to my history folder and came in directly to the discussion board, then refreshed. That would work, but going directly to Simple trACtors would not. Working fine now though. Pat

Got that msg and other similar ones yesterday when trying to access a dozen different sites. After about a dozen reconnects and an hour and a half later the web suddenly behaved perfectly. Was B. Gates trying to say something? Stan

Thanks guys, before I installed this thing in the "dumpster" I thought I'd ask. thx. bill.

Before you guys start lobbing computers in the dumpster, or stink bombs at me, here's something you may want to try. This site allows you to trace an internet request online. When the screen opens, it will show the number of jumps and the amount of time (in milliseconds) it took for the signal to get from Stanford University (the server) to your own computer. You can also put in the URL of this site, www.simpletractors.com and it will tell you how long it took for the message to go from Stanford to there. It will show you if the site is live and responding. It will also show you the number of "jumps" -- note that during busy traffic time on the web, the number of jumps can increase dramatically as traffic gets routed all over the place trying to get through... Picture a major traffic jam on the freeway -- next thing the know, the major sidestreets are hectic and crowded also as people (messages in this case) look for alternative routes to get through... MPH, a little playing with this and you can see just how slow the electrons move through the phone lines to you... [A href='http://www.slac.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/nph-traceroute.pl']http://www.slac.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/nph-traceroute.pl[/a]

Being on the end of a long, ratty. pair of 30 year old wires I never know if it is the Web or the phone co. Been nasty the last couple of days. Ron

They must have been frozen this morning, I gave up cuz my paientice quota was used up..So far seems to be ok now.MPH

Yesterday, I had to bypass the home page and go directly to the discussion page. Today, it speeds to the home page, takes a little time to reach the clubhouse, and forever to reach anything from there. I'm not complaining, just curious. I know if the problem is with this website, Kent will have it cleared up ASAP. I do not know enough about these things to know where the problem lies, so it isn't fair for me to place any blame. Pat

Sorry Kent, didn't mean to put the "rasberrys" on you,or the site, you both do a great service, I actually thought it was my "box", it screws up all the time. bill.