Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tube hitch

a_sannine

I just noticed today that the rototiller I have from my Allis Chalmers 416 won't hit the tube hitch on my 7117, the rod that comes out of the tiller is fatter and won't go in the tube , unfortunately I sold that tractor years ago thinking any tube hitch will fit it . the only one I was able to find is in Canada and shipping is high .

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by a_sannine
  • Like 1

You can thank the federal government's anti-trust (i.e. anti-monopoly) lawsuit that they filed against Allis after they bought Simplicity for all this nonsense.  The 300 serires and part of the 400 series machines (the earliest ones) used a different size top tube, so you could not readily use Simplicity attachments on an Allis, or vice versa.  The Homelites made by Allis in the same timeframe used a rectangular (instead of round) top tube, AFAIK.  So they couldn't interchange with either Allis or Simplicity. One the lawsuit was over, and the production moved back to Port Washington, the top tubes of all three brands were the same... 

Just another example of the government "helping us out" -- NOT!

• Like 2

Good info Kent thanks .

I tried taking the pulley out today for a top mount swap , no luck , it was about to bent and won't budge .I am gonna try to grind that fat rod next when it warms up .

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MikeES said:

I have heard of cutting off the 1-1/8" dia rod and welding on a 1" rod so the tiller worked on the simplicity tractors.

Would probably be the best fix, then you could use whatever attachment you want  Just my $.02

Thanks GregB for the photos , I was advised this hitch will hit the seat pan , unfortunately I couldn't take the pulley out  ,next step is to grind that shaft to fit my tube hitch .