Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 700 Differential

dince

How is the differential lubricated?  Mine was full of very thick greasy mud.  I thought it best to remove it!  Ought I fill the cassing with, say 90 oil, or pack it with grease, or does it get grease from the axle tube?

I have taken differentials and let them soak in a coffee can of gas to clean them. Let them dry and pump as much grease into them as you can. I use grease with moly. Also, the 700/725 differential has roll pins to power the RH hub gear. Inspect the pins and the holes they go in. They like to break. I would replace them with new. Or you may want to replace with a newer style differential which eliminated the pins.

• Like 1

I don't know much about the simplicity 700's but personally I would put 90 weight gear oil in.(Just my 2 cents)

Edited by GardenTrACtorguy
  • Like 1

After a good cleaning, they should be packed with grease, and yes, they are fed from the axle tube. 90 weight gear oil will leak out and will also contaminate the grease in the axle tube.

• Like 2

Bill,  Jason and Brett:  Many thanks for your advice.  I plan to go down the "pack with grease" pathway, after checking on the roll pins as per Bill's advice.

I never knew that simplicity used a bevel gear box that was packed with greece.  Was that a simplicity thing or did the B-1 have that too?

The differential and the bevel gear box are two different things.  The differential is located on the axle, near the hub, and allows one wheel to turn faster than the other, so that tractor can turn.  It also provides some "limitied slip" capability, where power is applied to both rear wheels. 

The bevel gear box, sometimes called a cross-drive, is mounted to the end to the front frame in front of the transmission, and changes the rotation of the driveshaft by 90 degrees, with output shafts on both sides to drive pulleys for the transmission and the center PTO.

• Like 2