Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Classifieds Application Updated

Kent

Just installed the latest version of the Classifieds application. ( I had to run a program to rebuild all the "thumbnail" pictures used for smaller views.)

This new version has several key fixes, including:

1. It requires an unregistered user or *Guest"  type in their email address when contacting a seller/buyer in the Classifieds.  NOTE:  If you have specified that people can only respond to you via message, then these people who have not registered for an account here cannot respond to your ad, because they can't send you a Private Message.
  2. It "hides" all ads that have expired from other viewers.
  3. It allows ads that have not been completed or sold to automatically renew for an additional 30 days.
  4. It allows you to mark an ad as "Complete" also hiding it from view.  Note that this terminology is used rather than sold, because if someone had a Want ad, they completed their ad by buying not selling.
  5. These expired or completed ads should be visible to you on your profile, should you want to relist something.  They just are not displayed.
  6. Some other small things here and there...

Unfortunately, it did not include the Trader Feedback System that I had hoped for.  That is supposedly coming in the next release -- but then, it was promised for this release earlier... &:)

• Like 1

A couple things.

How do you go about relisting something?

FYI; The counts are off on the classified page. I think there are a total of 18 in all categories, and the counts show 18 in each category.

21 minutes ago, rokon2813 said:

A couple things.

How do you go about relisting something?

FYI; The counts are off on the classified page. I think there are a total of 18 in all categories, and the counts show 18 in each category.

Good question.  I was just going on the developers' descriptions.  Can you see them in a tab on your own user profile?  (I can't) How about under My Adverts on the dropdown menu under your username?    I don't have a bunch of test ads of my own, nor any expired -- I've deleted the test ads I created.

I think if you can open the ad to edit it, it will reset and make it visible, with a new listing/expiration date.

I can see them the Admin Control Panel, and I have an option to "Unhide" them there... I'm not sure if that renews them or not.

I'll look into the other count issue...

My expired ads have always showed up under my user name "my adverts"

Now at the bottom of an expired advert in the "advert actions" is an option to "approve" the expired advert.

I did that, and I got an email from simpletractors stating

" Your advert submission has been approved and it is now available to all users. "

It does not show up (for me) as an active advert. I don't know about anyone else. The title is

Montgomery Wards Plow Track

If I go back to it in "my adverts" list, the  option to approve it is now gone, as is a little icon next to the title that says "pending approval"

Also, if it helps you any in troubleshooting, Active adverts show in that list in black print, expired show as pink (ish). The title of the one I approved did change back to black but still has the "expired" label .

If you want screenshots I can get them for you.

Edited by rokon2813

Do you have the button or link down at the bottom to Manage the ad -- where the Edit function is located?  I think if you open it to edit it, it will reset everything and relist it.

Edit did not change anything.

I thought I found it.

Upper right under my user name drop down menu now has "My Renewals"

Click on that and I get a list of my expired adverts with a "renew now" button

Click that and I get a popup about being invoiced. the renewal price is blank.

Click okay and it says advert renewed, but it still doesn't show in the classifieds.

Went back again to check and it says "cannot be renewed"

Well, I reset some things, but I'm not sure it changed anything.  I cannot set up a ZERO renewal cost - tried that.  But, I did specify again that there is no charge for renewals.  You should not be seeing that popup that is trying to charge you.

I tried another, and still got the popup

"An invoice will be generated and the advert will be available as soon as the payment is recognized"

I did not renew it to see if it worked just in case per my PM

6 minutes ago, rokon2813 said:

It took a few minutes, but it shows up now unless you did it manually

I did that one manually to test that -- it works, at least.

Well -- I think the Classifieds are now running as they should.  That will teach me to follow my own advice and to wait a few days after a new release (as I'd discussed in one of my earlier blog posts) so all the bugs/issues can be addressed.  But, I'd waited on this release for so long that I wanted to get the email issues for questions/answers to be resolved. There were some issues in record status for the ads, some configuration settings, and a couple of minor bugs/issues.  We applied a patch to one, so the count of ads is now correct.  The other one will be addressed in a bug-fix release early next week.

In a nutshell, you can now renew your own expired ads, if you would like.   Your expired ads will show up on My Renewals option on the drop down menu underneath your user name.  If you want to renew your ad for an additional 30 days, click the button to do so.  That should reset the expiration date, and make the ad visible in the Classifieds again.  Note that temporarily (until the bug-fix release next week) you will see a "warning dialogue" that says an invoice will be created -- since these ads are free, go ahead and click OK, to finish the renewal.  The bug fix release next week will eliminate this warning when the ads are free, like they are here.

free_ad_renewal.PNG

All this renewal business is being done because there was a problem on the old site with people posting an ad and not coming back to remove or update it when the item sold or whatever - resulting in a lot of bad ads and a waste of people's time trying to buy things that were already sold.  So, on the old site, we started to automatically delete them after 30 days.  Here, they will not be deleted -- they will just be deactivated, and you can renew them if you'd like, rather than having to submit a new ad.  Same end result of "cleaner classifieds" but better for the buyers/sellers who want to renew their ads...

Meanwhile, a reminder now that we should have the email routing straightened out -- so, if you want visitors (non-registered folks) to be able to reply to your ad, you need to enable the email method of contacting you.  Since they are not registered here, they cannot send a Private Message.  Email is their only way to contact you....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case you didn't know.

Size requirement for the picture you have to upload near the bottom of posting a classified, the one it uses for a thumbnail, has to be smaller than 512 KB

24 minutes ago, 720nut said:

Kent are expired adds just disappearing? didn't see any of my expired this morning

Shouldn't be.  They should show up on the dropdown menu underneath your username, under the menu option of My Renewals.

I haven't changed anything in the Classifieds, since that last de-bugging effort.  

That reminds me to check on a comprehensive bug-fix release, though....

1 hour ago, rokon2813 said:

Just in case you didn't know.

Size requirement for the picture you have to upload near the bottom of posting a classified, the one it uses for a thumbnail, has to be smaller than 512 KB

I didn't know that.  That was a new setting on this latest release, and I left it at the default value.  I've changed it to Unlimited now, so that restriction should no longer be there....

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Darl Swartz
    • MikeES
    • PhanDad
    • BLT
    • Tom45
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts