Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs & Stratton model 23D-FB engine

dince

Was this engine ever factory fitted to Simplicity and/or Allis tractors?  If so, which model(s)?  My Simplicity 700 has a 23D-FB engine, and I trying to ensure I have all the bits for between the engine and the drive shaft, such as screen, blower seal, coupling assembly etc.  Obviously, the parts diagram for the 700 and the 725 relate to the 7HP and the 7.25HP engines, but their engine pulleys are slightly different to that on my 23D.  

On my tractor, the coupling assembly at the bevel gear housing end of the drive shaft is just like what is shown in the parts book, but my other end coupling assembly is just a single disc of fibre glass like material.  Clearly, the 700 parts book list both these couplings as being identical.

Can anyone shine some light on this for me, please?  Do I need to purchase another 2154194?

23 D, not 23 D -FB, was used in the early B10 and early Landlords.

The fiber glass disk is an upgrade to what you should have. Yours probably looks like 2 steel plates with rubber between.

The old style worked fine, but after 40 or 50 years, they tend to come unglued.

• Like 1

FYI, I replaced the original B&S 19D 7-1/4 HP engine in my 725 with a 1979 B&S 243431 10HP engine and used the original engine/starter pulley & screen. Therefore, you should be able to use a newer engine pulley and screen on your older 23D engine. If you need one, there are some for sale on eBay if you search under "Briggs 243431." 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, rokon2813 said:

23 D, not 23 D -FB, was used in the early B10 and early Landlords.

The fiber glass disk is an upgrade to what you should have. Yours probably looks like 2 steel plates with rubber between.

The old style worked fine, but after 40 or 50 years, they tend to come unglued.

Thanks, Dan.  The steel/rubber sandwich one seems OK, so I will stay with it, but will get spare fibre glass one in case it dies.

13 hours ago, Bill725 said:

FYI, I replaced the original B&S 19D 7-1/4 HP engine in my 725 with a 1979 B&S 243431 10HP engine and used the original engine/starter pulley & screen. Therefore, you should be able to use a newer engine pulley and screen on your older 23D engine. If you need one, there are some for sale on eBay if you search under "Briggs 243431." 

Thanks, Bill725 for your advice.  From what you are saying, I presme the crankshaft diameter is the same over this range of engines.  I will look on eBay.