Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

General value of a 60" deck for 720 or Powr'MAx???

SmilinSam

I have a person wanting to buy one of my 60" decks. Good shape, no cracks, and appears to be ready to use with decent bearings and new blades. Has the hitch that goes on the tractor too. Only defect I see is that the idler pulley rubs on the underside of the shield. If I choose to sell it, Whats a fair average price to charge for this? Don't need to make a killing, but don't want to give it away either. SmilinSam

Sounds like Paul wants to buy it.........Test Woody's theory and put it on ebay for $800 minimum bid. Brent

What's this about SimpleTractors.com & inflating prices? Actually I traded one last year for a used CCKB shortblock. I thought that was a fair trade of approximately $250 value. What I'd like to have now is a sickle mower. I'd pay $200 for one of those! Paul

Last one I bought for $400 and it came with a 4041. Guess maybe I should put a padlock on mine! Paul

Paul, CCKB shortblock ??? I think the value of that is also more than $250... Premium equipment demands premium prices. All this PowerMax stuff is quality, well built equipment. None of this disposable crap being sold today. Jeff http://hyperphoto.photoloft.com/view/exportImage.asp?s=cano&i=9086411&w=256&h=170>

I still got the CCKB shortblock if you want to buy it! I'll send it with Deb to Cleveland next Sunday. (If she can sneak it past airport security.) Paul

Paul, I've only ever come across two sickle bar mowers for a PowerMax - and both were priced well over $500. Good luck on that one - probably harder to find than a loader. Jeff

Actually there is a sicklemower on the for Sale section for $600. I'd own it if I could find a way to get it here from ohio without any additional cost. I don't figure $600 is bad when you consider I get between $400-$500 for the garden tractor variety. Jeff, I was arbitrarily thinking $750. We must think on the same lines price wise. Paul, I get $350 for used 48" decks with good bearings. $250 might be a bit low all things considered. Besides,I need to get a good price out of the 4040 deck to help pay for the 720 I just bought. Didn't you tell me I'd end up with more than one??

Sam, Some background information first: These decks were made specifically for the PowerMax sized tractors and of course, are no longer available. New 60" mid-mount mower decks for Kubota, Deere, NH, etc. run around $2200 - $2600. Of course, as with any of this fine equipment - condition dictates the cost. In my opinion, a deck in excellent condition (rebuilt with new parts, perfect shell, etc.)should bring around $1000+. Good condition, $600 - $800. Fair condition, $200 - $400 and so on. These prices should also include the hitch (mule). These decks are highly prized by PowerMax owners and will mow your yard like a golf course - you know that famous "Simplicity Cut". Good luck and remember this is just one PowerMax owner's opinion. Jeff

Good job, Sam. We're all multiple owners - it's that damned disease (as my wife refers to it). I think $750 is a fair price for a deck in good condition. The sickle bar in Ohio is sold - talked to DanMig the other night. Paul, $250 for the shortblock??? - send it with Deb. I just gave $114 for an oil pump. She may have a problem with airport security - these Onan's have enough power and torque to launch an ICBM! Jeff

SmilinSam I believe that the idler pulley rubbing on the shield is probably caused by any or all of three things. (1)The shaft or bushing for the pulley may be worn and causing the slight tip with the pressure from the tightened belt. (2)The bracket holding the pulley is bent. It seemed like the bracket should have been made heavier to allow for wear and tear. (3)The pivet bolt or bushing is worn or bent. The bracket moves with the spring taking up the slack of the belt and keeping the belt with the right tension. It is important to keep debri out from under the bracket so that it may slide easy. Not much clearance for the bracket between the shield and the deck plate. And finally while in there get a new spring and replace the old one which no doubt is all rusted out. It is not a hard fix, but it is essential that the pulley and belt has the right spring tension without dragging on the shield. I've worked on a couple of those mower decks and no way would I let one go that is working for $250. My estimates would be more in line with what Jeff quoted. JohnG

Dutch, I didn't know Paul was from Philadelphia. How much for the bell? It is cracked, you know. LOL Jeff

I got a 60" mower with each of my tractors, 4040,620 and 720. The one with the 720 was rusted pretty bad. A guy online needed the center arbor and priced a new one from simplicity at over $280. I told him I'd thought about parting mine out and he offered me $250 for the 3 arbors by themselves. He's happy with them and I'm happy with his $250 :) Besides, I know where there's a woods 3pt finish mower for sale for I beleave $350. Just have to figure out how much to convert it to 2000 rpm.