Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sweet Corn Herbicides

powermax_paul

I've been looking at some of the popular herbicides on the market lately. I thought about using Frontier 6.0 till I saw the price. I can only buy it in 2.5 Gal containers at $100 per gallon! Minimum it'll cost me is $250 for the approximately 1 qt. that I need. I'd have to sell my mower deck just to pay for herbicide. LOL Do you guys really have good luck with Roundup and 2,4-D? Don't weeds have to be up and growing for them to work? There wont be any weeds after I till and plant. What do you recommend for a preemergent? PS. I just bought a 25 gal spot sprayer from Northern that I'll be putting a boom on. Just thought I'd mention it they're on sale right now for $120. Seems like a pretty good deal. Paul[A href='http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=780&prmenbr=6970']http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=780&prmenbr=6970[/a]

Paul, I don't use herbicides on my garden, but as far as I know neither Roundup nor 2-4-D are preemergent... I'd look for something specifically for that purpose that's available in smaller quantities.... Kent

I don't really want to use chemicals, but the last two years I've totally lost my 1/2 acre sweet corn crop to weeds. I can't afford to spend $90 on seed and not get anything out of it. Paul

Contact a local farmer Hopefully some one you know and see if he will sell you some that is already mixed.I don't use it myself but they sure use it out in the fields behind my house.Bob

Both Round-Up and 2,4-D only work on emerged weeds. The pre-emergent herbicides need to be selected for the type of weeds expected; there are several different ones and each one is more effective for specific weeds. Best bet is to talk to a local farmer about what we uses, because your weeds are likely to be the same. The best news is that these newer pre-emergent herbicides are effective at very low application rates, sometimes just a couple of ounces per acre! Tom

Paul, Is there a "soil service center" in your area? These are the places that sell fertilizer and chemical to farmers. Cenex/Land-O-Lakes, Terra, Simplot Soil Builders, etc., are just a few. If no luck finding such a place, contact the county extension agent. He should be able to help. I am not in a heavy corn growing area, so I can't be of much help. Round-up and 2,4-D are both POST emergent herbicides. Round-up kills all plant life, and 2,4-D is effective only on broadleaf weeds. I believe you can use 2,4-D on your corn plot after the corn emerges, to kill weeds. Since corn is a grass, it should not harm the corn when applied according to the label. In my experience, 2,4-D may not be as effective as other broadleaf herbicides, but it is more consistent in that it is not affected by certain variables such as heat, rain, etc., as the "specialized" herbicides. In addition, it is a lot cheaper. Pat

Paul, if you got room, plow up a new corn patch and green manure crop this one for a few years, weeds take over in soil that has been mono-croped cuz the soil is depleted of minerals. I watched the same problem develop around Nebr since I was a kid. MPH