Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 727 inside a Ford Windstar ???

Putter

Has anyone hauled a lawn tractor inside a Mini van? I bought a tractor that has to be hauled a long way and if it would fit inside the wife's Windstar it will be cheaper than the truck or trailering it. The spec sheet dimensions seem to support the theory. Someone must have tried this? Want to be sure before I "propose" the idea to the better half.

Hi Putter, I am sure this can be done by removing the deck, and the worst case, the steering wheel. I will measure up one of the riders we have outback, and the windstar we have and get back to you tomorrow.

Sound great. I will remove the seats and put down some plywood of course. If you have an old Broadmoor with a snowblower attached I need the total length too. I was going to take the deck off for sure.

I bought a 727 from a guy and hauled it home in the back of a 4 door 1995 Chevy Blazer. Did have to take the steering wheel off but it fit. If you take the extra seats out of your minivan it should fit in nicely. My dad has a couple dodge minivans and I know it'd fit in those.

Wasn't asked, but make sure you secure it well. God forbid you get in an accident, you don't want a few hundred pound missle coming at you from the rear. When I transport in vans, I use heavy nylon straps around front seat to front of machine, and from the van frame (under rear bumper) to rear of machine (van door closes nicely over straps).

My friend hauled a 728 for me in the back of his Chevy Astro van.It did't have any attachments though.You say you need the total lenght with a blower on it?If so I can go out and measure mine later. mowerman1193

Thanks ALL Yes, Dutch I thought about that and was going to strap the thing down to the seat attach points, through holes in the plywood. Good point thought. Mowerman if you have a comparable machine to a 727 Broadmoor with a snow blower attached that is the length measurement I need.

In some cases it may be easier to remove the front wheels than the steering wheel if its hard to get off. I had a guy that wanted to haul a good size tractor in his Ford Explorer and that's what he did. Fit perfectly.

Putter, here ya go, at steering wheel 371/4 in, hood ht-33 3/8, wth- 34 1/4, length 68 in. ggod luck..MPH #'s are for B-1..

Hey Putter, Woody may have a point. If your wife likes your tractor habbit enough to allow you to use her van to haul one in It worth the price of renting a trailer to save that approval rating..MPH

I didn't realize Putter is reading impaired. I thought he understood the first time. Try this
Hey Putter.... Woody & Marty suggest you rent a trailer

a 725 with mower deck will fit in the back of a Mercury Villager. Its tight and you have to protect the van from the rear hitch, but it fits with the back closed. Galen

Matter of fact Woody, I really think his boat trailer, with four fans lifting it run off the ole van alt. would be a better solution..MPH

OK, Here's the guaranteed solution to your tractor hauling problem Putter. Thanks to Red.

"Spare the duct tape spoil the job".....

Woody Del Mar

INSTRUCTIONS FOR VISUALLY CHALLENGED Oops! Forgot the link to tractor lifting instruction sheet. http://image.photoloft.com/opx-bin/OpxFIDISA.dll?src=/PhotoLoft/Asset19/2002/03/08/9092/9092963_0_7530.fpx,0,0,1,1,640,480,FFFFFF

How about asking Kent to start a new poll? If Marty, Woody & Herb form a comedy team, should it be called: A. Marty, Woody & Herb B. Woody, Marty & Herb C. Herb, Marty & Woody D. Marty, Herb & Woody E. Woody, Herb & Marty F. Herb, Woody & Marty Did I miss any permutations?

My Broadmoor with the blower on it was approx. 84in. long(7foot).This is probably not exact as where I have it parked made it hard to measure but its very close. mowerman1193

What about a small cheap to rent U-Haul trailer? They have small ones for motorcycles and such..Woody

Thought about this post yesterday while I was "going Beyond the scope of the home mech" replacing the transaxle seal in my Voyager. It would fit in the back of thier no problem if the 727 is about the same size as a B-1 or 725. Up to 85 inches long.MPH

I think a trailer is better for piling all the extra "junk" in with the trailer. One rip in the roof liner can make you awfully unhappy and unpopular with the wife which is worse! Woody

OK Woody, I like the idea. Any thoughts on whether I should have it facing forwards or backwars. I see in your schematic that it is forward. I am assuming that this is just for demo porposes as you did not include the snowthower. A question for all of you... should I duct tape the new mower on the Windstar roof facing forward or backward to achive the best fuel economy? Keep in mind that the snowthrower will be attached.

Putter, I carefully calculated the effect of extra weight being pushed up the ramp and I do believe it would be unsafe for your wife to be behind the tractor with the snowblower attached. I would like you to lift the snowblower to the roof with your wife's help of course. The snowblower should be behind the tractor for aerodynamic efficiency. Of course duct tape the heck out of it, safety first!

Woody Del Mar