Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
a_sannine

ATF tranny fluid as a cleaner

rokon2813
3 hours ago, a_sannine said:

Any one used ATF tranny fluid  added to oil to clean inside of engine from gum/build  up?

I've used kerosene....

lugnard

Diesel fuel works wonders and has lube qualities as well. I did just that on a ford ranger that had sticking lifters. Warm up the engine. Drop the oil and added 4 quarts. Ran it at a high idle for a minute or two. Drained and new filter and oil. I couldn't believe how much and fast the oil pressure came up!! Big difference altho the lifters were still noisy but it really cleaned the motor. This wasn't my idea...read it somewhere so can probably find it by google. And I also tried ATF mixed in the oil as well as marvel mystery. But the diesel..which I tried last was the best result.

Harry

• Like 1

a_sannine

One of my e36 BMW  that I bought during past summer , had 112k , was leaking from  valve cover gasket , long story short that engine had sludge and u can hear the lifters . I added a quart of ATF , ran the engine for 20 minutes at 2500 rpm  them drained it , took cover off I was shocked how clean it is , no sludge what so ever , the engine ran so smooth after that , I put 4k on it so far ,engine runs like top .

theniteowl

Have not tried it as a cleaner but it makes an excellent penetrating fluid when mixed with 50% acetone.

It is supposed to be better than readily available commercial products but I have not done any comparison.

• Like 1