Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

1920 Deutz Allis 60" Deck Project

Hick

I knew there was rust through the deck at places and much work is needed, so I decided on this iced-in day I'd tackle it.
Not sure why the carpet along the front.  This shows the flail blades. I'll most likely go back to standard blades. You can see the swiss cheese right above the center blade assembly.
Deck 1.jpg

Lots of linkages, bolts, & other fun stuff to remove. Not sure where the funny color paint came from.
Deck 2.jpg

When I took the gearbox mounting plate off, a huge chunk of slab rust came off with it.  Not sure how salvageable this deck is. Gearbox seems solid, spindles need bearings, idler pulleys need bearings.  I was hoping to get this running and retire the 48" JD mower. An extra foot would speed things up so much!

Deck  Rust 2.jpg

If I am looking at this correctly the two blades to the left(as viewed from the bottom) are clockwise and the one blade at the discharge chute is ccw-- I just went through this same project on a Sunstar 48" but not nearly as bad shape--had swiss cheese around outside arbor and some towards the middle arbor--mine turned out pretty good. Used a wire welder and some 18 gauge metal--I don't claim to be a master welder but I'm very satisfied with the outcome.

• Like 1

I have a line on another deck shell from a fellow here, but it's in Toronto! And w/o tearing it down, no idea what shape it's in.
You are right on the direction of the blades. That is unique to the 60" deck.  When I first looked at the underneath, I was confused about the baffle in the front. Then got to looking at the blades & belt. Yep, weird grass flow. Not sure why they did this.

BTW: Those car wheel dollies are the BOMB! I use them a lot around the shop, never for moving a car! Right now I have two Kohler engines on one, so much easier to move them around!
Deck - Grass Flow.jpg

You can fix it...I've repaired a couple of them...well not 60" decks, but a 42 and a 48.  On the 42 I cut out the rust and replaced.  On the 48, I just welded patches over top of the rust.  If you want it to look nice, its not what I would recommend, but for ease and strength, it was great.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 720nut said:

Gary with your fab skills this should be a walk in the park. LOL

I'm not so sure about my "fab skills" when it comes to shaping curves.

11 hours ago, Mike_H said:

You can fix it...I've repaired a couple of them...well not 60" decks, but a 42 and a 48.  On the 42 I cut out the rust and replaced.  On the 48, I just welded patches over top of the rust.  If you want it to look nice, its not what I would recommend, but for ease and strength, it was great.  

I've welded patches on the JD deck a few times. As bad as this is, cutting it out and fitting patches in would be the best way. 

Here is a post I did last year, where I cut and replaced metal.  

Here are some pics of the one that I just welded over top...I "bent" the metal with a ball peen hammer.  Tack it in where its mostly flat, then shape it with the hammer, tack it, beat it, tack it, etc.  Wish I had some before pics.  It was pretty rough.  Worked great when I was done.  Not going to win any shows, but on a worker...The cut was just as good as the "nice" looking one.  When I sold the tractor it was on, the guy just wanted the tractor to plow with so I kept the deck.  Sold it by itself for 150 buck or so.  

Weldingdeck3.jpg

Weldingdeck2.jpg

Weldingdeck1.jpg

Welding deck 3.jpg

Painted 2.jpg

Assembled 1.jpg

Edited by Mike_H
  • Like 3

I can appreciate the amount of work you put into it, and while it hard to get it looking as good as you hope it will, it still cuts the grass as a new one!

David

On 1/16/2017 at 9:23 PM, sandyhillbill said:

I just went through this same project on a Sunstar 48" but not nearly as bad shape--had swiss cheese around outside arbor and some towards the middle arbor--mine turned out pretty good. Used a wire welder and some 18 gauge metal--I don't claim to be a master welder but I'm very satisfied with the outcome.

Got me to thinking, so I checked out my stock of sheet steel.  No 18 ga, but did have some 16 ga.  10' x 18" should be enough! ;)
Then I miked the Deutz deck, it came out to 11 ga, almost 1/8" thick!
Checked my stock again.  Yep, a chunk of 11 ga 8' long & 8" wide.
So, looks like I'll be cutting & welding on a deck.  Good winter project.  There will be some curves involved, which could be tricky.  But heck, I LIKE playing with curves!! ;):)

DSC_8047a.jpg

17 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

Corvettes are cheaper!

Well, I have a very low-maintenance woman.
She, however, has a high-maintenance man: Guns, tractors, motorcycles . . . 
And my position at work is Maintenance Manager.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Hick said:

Well, I have a very low-maintenance woman.
She, however, has a high-maintenance man: Guns, tractors, motorcycles . . . 
And my position at work is Maintenance Manager.

We must have married long lost sisters.

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• a_sannine
    • Snojetter
    • GregB
    • mbsengineer
    • Chris727
    • simplewrench
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts