Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Latest find

720nut

Found these Sunday 9.50x16 hope they fit my 720, came off a Deere 4100 series.

Need to git rid of that nasty yellow though

DSCN1198.JPG

DSCN1199.JPG

10 hours ago, Hick said:

Six bolts?

And what's wrong with yellow? ;)

It clashes with orange and white!  Some people have no fashion sense. &:)

• Like 1

Alright ya got me B 207, but not the shiny John Deere Yellow, This monte carlo yellow big difference

Anyway I get to feeling better they'll both be Allis crème, oh doc says I have pneumonia.

Edited by 720nut
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2017 at 3:53 PM, 720nut said:

Found these Sunday 9.50x16 hope they fit my 720, came off a Deere 4100 series.

Need to git rid of that nasty yellow though

Lol nasty yellow , Deere people ain,t gonna like that

On 1/17/2017 at 3:53 PM, 720nut said:

1 minute ago, a_sannine said:

Lol nasty yellow , Deere people ain,t gonna like that

This ain't a Deere site, at least last time I looked?

• Like 2

Those are some real tough looking tires!  Much deeper,wider cleats that we usually see on ag tires for our little machines.  Good for you!  

Just need to get well now.  Takes some time to get over pneumonia - I had it once while on vacation, and it drove me down to flat on the car seat.

On 1/18/2017 at 3:08 PM, 720nut said:

This ain't a Deere site, at least last time I looked?

Yeah, but there is this one guy who snuck in under the radar . . . 666

5 hours ago, 720nut said:

We're aware of that but believe there is still hope 666

If we can get them mowing with these Simplicity machines, I think we will convert them yet.  Nothing mows like a Simplicity! If you want to plow a furrow, other machines MIGHT be better, but for mowing I think Simplicity can take on all comers....

I must admit though, that since Simplicity's patent on the "floating deck" has expired, and Deere has mimicked their design (without full-width rollers, though, AFAIK) then the newer Deere mowers mow much better than they used to... The Cubs have not improved enough to be real competition when it comes to mowing -- that is coming only from their zero turns... 

But Ferris/Simplicity zero turns vs the competition is a whole 'nother issue... and companies like Exmark and others get added to that competition...

• Like 1

Tell me more about the "floating deck".
As I look at how my 1980 Deere deck hooks on compared to the 1989(?) Deutz deck, I don't really see much difference.  Both have solid pivots on the front, and floating hangers of some kind on the rear. I know the deck on my Deere moves around a lot on mowing my acreage.  I put wheels on the front of it to avoid scalping. I noticed later decks on the 200 series had them from the factory.
My winter project is to get the 5' Deutz deck up and running. The JD has a 4' deck.

21 minutes ago, Hick said:

Tell me more about the "floating deck".

Ironically, the best description I've seen is in the Deutz brochure here:  

Basically the deck is not attached to the tractor's frame -- it is pulled across the ground by the pivoting front axle, rolling on full-width rear rollers. The attachment to the front axle even has intentional flex designed into it, so the the deck follows the contours of the ground.  Simplicity patented this shortly after (or concurrent with) introducing the Model 700 in 1959.... ...At that time, most competitors simply hung their mower decks underneath the tractor frame, with perhaps anti-scalp wheels on the corners.  Simplicity decks don't even need added anti-scalp rollers until you get wider than 48" -- there's an anti-scalp roller hidden underneath the deck behind the center arbor to keep it from scalping.  The ends of the full width rollers keep the two outboard blades from scalping...

It was only the wider decks that came later that got nose rollers or anti-scalp wheels on the front corners.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 720nut said:

Like my Exmarks    dOd

Yep, like I said, their patent ran out and competitors started copying the design.  

BTW, I now mow my steep lawn with an Exmark Viking 36" with dual hydros -- so I can keep the nose kicked up the hill without slipping belts. I was using a Gravely with steering brakes, but this works much smoother, without dragging a brake all the time...

1 minute ago, Kent said:

Yep, like I said, their patent ran out and competitors started copying the design.  

BTW, I now mow my steep lawn with an Exmark Viking 36" with dual hydros -- so I can keep the nose kicked up the hill without slipping belts. I was using a Gravely with steering brakes, but this works much smoother, without dragging a brake all the time...

Mine stay pretty much where I put them. have mowed some pretty steep banks and yards

My 1996 Kubota B2400 has a full floating deep deck and does a great job almost as good as a Simplicity, and it even stripes the lawn without a full deck roller and never scalps and most of my lawn was never landscaped (old hay field).  I rarely use my HB212 with sickle mower anymore, as I can raise the deck on the Kubota and mow a field like a brush hog.

But the new compact Kubotas don't offer that deck anymore.  They are now all the drive over quick attach, shallow and hang from the frame, and do not do a good mowing unless you are on absolutely flat lawn.  Also they are almost useless to mow a tall grass field.

The quality of the cut is many times in the eye of the beholder...some people are not fussy what their lawn looks like.   My neighbor has a JD and scalps his lawn all over the place, and he likes how the JD mows.  :| 

" My neighbor has a JD and scalps his lawn all over the place, and he likes how the JD mows.  "

Well, this Deere owner DID NOT like the scalping; thus the wheels added to the front of my deck! ;)
Cut them off the back of another deck I was parting out.Mower Deck 1.JPG

Hick, I like the strap you added on the side to keep the rear guage wheel from snagging. Fine idea. 

It amazes me what passes for a good job to some people. I try to fly by the rules of a job worth doing is worth doing right, and a job not done right is not truly done. I one cheek a lot of things around here due to lack of time and money and it drives me nuts! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, B-16_IC said:

Hick, I like the strap you added on the side to keep the rear guage wheel from snagging. Fine idea. 

My back & north fence are hog panels. Kept snagging those to no end!  Finally thought of this idea, works great. Still snags when I'm backing up, though . . . :)

On 1/27/2017 at 3:00 PM, MikeES said:

The quality of the cut is many times in the eye of the beholder...some people are not fussy what their lawn looks like.   My neighbor has a JD and scalps his lawn all over the place, and he likes how the JD mows.  :| 

Yes, this...My neighbor, who is as fussy about his lawn as I am, has a JD mower.  Occasionally, he'll "help" me out, and mow for me (like if I go on vacation or something).  It ALWAYS scalps my yard.  As much as I try to keep it flat, the moles keep pushing up hills, and they make bumps which catch the deck on the mower.  The Simplicity 48" will scalp in one place, if I'm going too fast.  The 32" on the Broadmoor doesn't scalp at all, ever.