Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-10 hydro lift refurbish

TomSchmit

One of our members had made nice write-ups about repairing and refurbishing the hydro lifts from older Landlords and B-series, for both the round tank style and the square tank style.I have been searching but am unable to find these instructions.

Can someone please point me to them? Thanks - Tom

Tom,

I have the article printed at home from long ago but I cannot find it quickly either. Pretty sure it was authored by the TheDaddyCat. I did find a TheDaddyCat list of o-rings BLT shared recently and that there may still be rebuild kits available from Parker. Maybe Kent or BLT can find the rebuild article quicker but if not I will copy my into pdf and send it. gw

Edited by gwiseman

Found it. Since the links from the old site don't readily match I spent some time this morning looking up thedaddycat posts and wallah! 

• Like 1

Yes, I think it was DaddyCat who put together the "manuals" on hydro lift repair. The post that you link to is still there, but the links in that post don't work. I am still looking for his detailed manuals, I know that they are here somewhere!

Tom

Thanks Kent, that is indeed the article I was looking for. I recall that he did a very similar one for the square tank version ... you did not see it in the same place as you found this one?

Thanks - Tom

The end of that one includes a description of the square tank, updated by someone else.  I've also found and uploaded the Parker rebuild instructions in the Download section here:

I also just recreated that article here:

Good catch, guys!  Not sure why/how this one fell through the cracks!

And If your looking for the O-rings, I probably have enough to make up a few sets.  Based on the sizes from the table in the article. Minus the large tank o ring.

Last postings I saw said the pump kit was still available from Parker.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Let us know how the refurb goes.  I just did the lift cylinder for one of my B112s but have not attempted the pump yet.

I have intended to replace the hoses as well but have not found any place local that makes them or information on what type connectors need to be used.  Tractor Supply has stopped making hydraulic hoses at least in my area.

41 minutes ago, theniteowl said:

Let us know how the refurb goes.  I just did the lift cylinder for one of my B112s but have not attempted the pump yet.

I have intended to replace the hoses as well but have not found any place local that makes them or information on what type connectors need to be used.  Tractor Supply has stopped making hydraulic hoses at least in my area.

Try NAPA. My local one makes custom hoses. Make sure you tell them that they must be as exact as possible. Have them use at least one swivel connector.

The hydrolift is installed work works pretty well ... has plenty of lifting power. It does leak down but not so fast that I can't use it. So I am going to leave it in for now. When I get some seals (as offered by GregB above) then I will re-work the cylinder sometime this summer. But for now I am happy to have a working hydrolift again! Thanks for everyone's attention! Tom

• Like 1

Tom,

I did not forget about you.  I did find the bag of o-rings, but did not have any "kits" made up.  I'll have to get counting, then send you a pm with the info you asked for earlier.

Greg

The cylinder rebuild is pretty straightforward.  Mine had a lot of damage when one bolt holding the driveshaft to the engine came off and the drive shaft started slopping around a lot.  Did some damage to the connector to the rocker and some on the shaft.

It had apparently been left in an extended position for a long time allowing some rust pitting on the shaft and at some point someone had taken it apart and used a vise grip to hold the shaft causing some gouging of the shaft which then ate the seal causing it to leak.  I lightly filed down the high spots from the vise grip damage then mounted the shaft in my drill press.  While rotating in the drill press I used some very high grade paper looped around the spinning shaft to smooth out the pitting and damage from the vise grip.  You do not want to use an abrasive paper with just your hands as you could end up with low spots from uneven pressure.  I looped a thin strip of paper around the shaft holding both ends with an even pressure so that the same pressure was applied to the spinning shaft and worked it up and down the length periodically adding a little oil.  Brought it to a nice shine.  Did not fix the pits but without high spots or sharp edges the o-rings will last a lot longer with less leakage.

Took the opportunity to powdercoat the whole thing while I was at it, should be good for a long time to come.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

Needing to rebuild the lift cylinder on my B110. Having trouble finding all the O-Rings specifically the 157221 and the 157227. Anyone have specs on their sizes to get aftermarket brand since those part numbers have been discontinued? Also any cylinder rebuild tips/information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Edited by RobertH
Add additional information request

@RobertH

157221 is the rod seal, O-ring size 112, 3/32" W X 1/2" ID X 11/16" OD. You can use Buna-N but I used Viton material because of better durability.

157227 is the piston seal, 3/16" W X 1" ID X 1-1/4" OD. I used McMaster-Carr P/N 1386N17.

If you have any more questions come on back.

• Like 2

Bill and PhanDad,

Thank you very much for the information! The lift cylinder has been leaking out at the piston rod for a number of years. It operates great but slowly leaks down. The O-Ring 157216 and Bushing 157220 I've found listed on ebay and their new but old original Simplicity parts. With their age especially the O-Ring would that be a good direction to go?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bill725 said:

157227 is the piston seal, 3/16" W X 1" ID X 1-1/4" OD.

Bill, check me on this - if the ID & OD dimensions are correct, then the "width" should be 1/8".

2 hours ago, RobertH said:

With their age especially the O-Ring would that be a good direction to go?

Great question. 

The issue is you don't know how long a given O-ring has been sitting in a parts drawer, so it too could be old.  If you get an O-ring sourced locally, at least you can feel it's condition.  

As to the bushing,  I'm not sure what it is or what it's made out of, but if it's some type of metal, it should be OK.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PhanDad said:

Bill, check me on this - if the ID & OD dimensions are correct, then the "width" should be 1/8".

It's not an o-ring. Sizes stated per McMaster-Carr.

@RobertH

I would suggest new o-rings. PM me with your email address and I can email you an Xcel spreadsheet with all the rebuild parts for the entire hydro lift.

@Jesse GrecoHoping you can come up with a website library where this kind of info can be stored once and for all.

• Like 1

Bill,

I sent you my email address last night for the Xcel spreadsheet and also a couple answers to questions. Thank you to you and to everyone else for your help. You've been a wealth of information!

• Like 1

Very timely- just rescued a pretty far gone 101 today, I was surprised to not only see the hydrolift sticker---- but the unit as well!  Never had this treat on any of my prior tractors, always just used the lift arm for blades and tiller.  It'll take me a while to get to this project, but came out looking for any good rebuild posts---- phew, now I have the resurrected 'how to'.  Love this place as always.

• Like 3