Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Late 712H alternator

scubasteve

Does anyone have any information on the late model 700 series with Kohler engine?  I have a 712H. The flywheel alternator has 3 wires from it. It appears that 2 of them charge and the 3rd is for the headlights. The headlights no longer work. I have not been able to find much on these. All I have found is the 15 amp with the external rectifier.  Thanks

3 minutes ago, scubasteve said:

Kent, I am sorry, it says  I do not have permission to see your reply.

Sorry - I didn't think of that... dz

From the Kohler K301 Service Manual:

K301_Serv_pg8.11.JPG

K301_Serv_pg8.10.JPG

All other K301 systems have 3 wires - but the 10 amp may not have an external rectifier.  There isn't a schematic, just this troubleshooting chart:

K301_Serv_pg8.12.JPG

Maybe you have the 10amp system?

Is the engine original?  All the spec sheets I've seen list both old and late model 712H's as having the 15 amp flywheel alternator with solid state rectifier.

And if you just acquired the tractor, might it be missing the rectifier? - Some PO "maintenance?

• Like 1

On 1/27/2017 at 4:19 PM, scubasteve said:

Does anyone have any information on the late model 700 series with Kohler engine?  I have a 712H. The flywheel alternator has 3 wires from it. It appears that 2 of them charge and the 3rd is for the headlights. The headlights no longer work. I have not been able to find much on these. All I have found is the 15 amp with the external rectifier.  Thanks

What you have is a dual circuit system and if it is connected to a three way plug, the center wire (black) is power for the coil, the other black is the 5 amp charge circuit and lastly the yellow is the 12VAC circuit for headlights. You should be able to probe the connection with VOM set at A-C to see if you get more of less 12V. If you get voltage , with switch on . go downstream to a headlight and probe it  . If  you  get voltage, you have a bad ground, if not maybe bad switch or loose terminal..

• Like 1

As usual, BLT knows his stuff.

Here's the wiring schematic for an A/C 700 Series tractor with 10 amp charging system:

10ampNonRegulatedWiringDiagram.JPG

The diagram is from the A/C Tractor Operator's Manual for a Model No 1690211,0212,0213,0214,0215, and 0367 tractor.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 716 I have stripped for parts if they are the same between the 710 and 716.

I pulled the Kohler 341 to use on my 410 and took the pump for the hydro transmission for rebuilding as a spare.

• 2 weeks later...

My apologies for the delay in thanking each of you. You guys have given me useful information. I will start through the troubleshooting procedures!