Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Shipping an engine

Brettw

Well, I am trying to ship a pair of Briggs 16 horsepower engines to another member.  In the process I have built 2 crates to ship them in.  Plywood (OSB) all 6 sides, engine bolted down to the bottom "floor" of the crate, hand holes cut in two sides.  21" x19" x 24"H This is room for the engine, muffler, S/G complete.  Well looking to UPS, and other freight carriers I figured let's figure out exactly what one of these weighs.  I am assuming the 10 and 16 are relatively close in weight, so I actually took a 10 horse with the full Monty S/G, muffler, etc. and plopped it on a scale, as the 16's haven't been pulled out of the tractors just yet.   I now know why it hurts so much to plop one of these up on the work bench.  Including the crate 165 #'s.  So, for any future reference now we know.  Approximately 165 #'s in a plywood box, with a S/G and muffler, dry weight.  

Now, if I can only find a reasonable way to ship these.  Fastenal isn't really very close to the buyer. Milwaukee, WI  to Charlottsville, NC  ANy suggestions?  UPS Freight is $285.00 for the pair.

Edited by Brettw
  • Like 1

Not sure if this is possible, but I shipped a pallet to a member with snow blade weights chains etc.  I was able to use my shipping and receiving dept at work who uses Estes freight. Shipped to Iowa forlike$120 or so.  I have no idea if you have an Estes or similar.  Don't know if a guy can walk in off the street and ship. 

• Like 1

What about Fed -Ex, Roadway , Usf holland ,  ask for a freight rate on , "internal combustion engine, dry, crated, value not exceeding 2.50 a pound. "

The value/ lb is as low as you can go. then size and wheight. See where that gets you.

Briggs.jpg

• Like 2

I have heard several instances of guys shipping via Greyhound bus. Might be worth checking out.

I myself have no experience shipping via Greyhound. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, fishnwiz said:

I have heard several instances of guys shipping via Greyhound bus. Might be worth checking out.

I myself have no experience shipping via Greyhound. 

So have I, for big awkward things that weren't necessarily heavy, such as car fenders or something.  But, I think there is a weight limit because the driver must handle them...

With an engine, the issue is weight.  Fastenal, bolted to a small pallet may be the best solution.  I know the size of the pallet (floor space in the truck) is a factor and since an engine, even in a crate, would have a small footprint -- the price MIGHT not be too bad.  I have no firsthand experience shipping engines, though I've shipped (and received) tractor attachments.

• Like 1

I had a turbo shipped Albuquerce New Mexico to west Arizona line buy Greyhound very reasonable.

Had Gary Hickman check shipping for 12hp engine thru Fastenal $125 Neb to Michigan.

Some areas of country might be only choice due to remoteness.

Edited by 720nut
  • Like 1

I work for a company called R&L Carriers and we do the same thing as all the other trucking companies mentioned before.  If they are both going to the same address, I would securely attach them both to a single standard 40x48 pallet.  There are sites to compare freight prices that you would need shipping and receiving zip code, weight , and pallet size. I think they would end up safer if handled by a forklift and 2 smaller pallets won't save you any money. For what its worth, Dave

• Like 2

But the main point is that a common carrier truck line will likely be the lowest cost shipping, especially if you can ship from an established business (with a loading dock) to a business address (with a loading dock). In my opinion, Fastenal is the next best option that will have a similar low price, but you have to deliver and pick up at a store.

Tom

• Like 1

I have used common carrier (both terminal dropoff/pickup and home/dropgate services), as well as UPS and Fastenal for shipping engines.  Several times, this was the choice of the other party in the transaction.  UPS is competitive, however, your crate must be packed to survive a drop.  To me this means pack it entirely surrounded by a material like insulation board.  Places like small engine parts warehouse probably ship this way, in a stout, cardboard box.  I received a new engine once this way, and these guys do not baby a box that is a PITA to move around in their truck.  My wife watched a FedEx guy push one such box right off the back of his rig, onto my driveway, but these shipments are insured, ship fast and provide accurate tracking.

Terminal pickup/drop off is a hassle, and locations are less accessible than Fastenal, but freight shaves a lot of cost by doing this.  Dropgate service is the most costly by far, and also the easiest for a shipping party, especially if they have reservations about taking the item somewhere on your behalf.  I shipped a Sweepster broom this way once, buyer arranged, at a cost of $650.  Semi showed up, driver brought a pallet and pallet jack, and did all the work.  He was gone in 10 minutes.  I doubt I even needed to be there.  I believe these shipments are almost always insured and ship quickly.  A call to customer service can usually determine the location and ETA of the shipment.

Fastenal is a good compromise for most folks.  Shipping is usually cheapest, but takes the longest (up to 2-3 weeks), and the stores aren't always familiar with the invoicing process.  Some stores do not have a forklift, or do not receive a regular truck delivery, making them ineligible. The packing burden remains on the shipper, which is often prohibitive for some folks.  They have locations everywhere I have ever searched.  Most times I have to ask a receiver to choose among several nearby options.  Insurance is only an option if fully crated, which I have never done, and I have never experienced any damage.  2 engines on a pallet should ship for under $100 if bolted to an undersized pallet.  Rarely can I receive any shipping info or an ETA.  

My vote, try Fastenal first.  Find locations that work, and get a quote.  Second, I would get online as Dave suggests and pull a few LTL carrier quotes.  Terminal location could be prohibitive on either, or both ends.  Lastly, pack them right and tight and ship separately through UPS, insured.

• Like 2

Brett, I would try freightquote.com 

I have used them in the past, but not recently.

They compare prices on many LTL companies, including those listed above, R&L, Estes, Old Dominion,  etc. and give pretty decent prices.

The carrier chosen will depend on who has a distribution center close to both cities.

The issue with them is, if you don't want to pay the extra for lift gate service, you have to deliver the pallet to the distribution center of their choice.

You have to ask them if the location they want you to use has outside forklift access. Some don't. If they don't you have to be able to get the pallet off your truck onto a standard height dock. Everything I have shipped could be lifted by me and a helper I bring with me.

You can also get the lift gate service on the other end, or it must be picked up at the distribution center.

If both engines are going to the same place, I would cut a standard 40 x 48 pallet in half, making it 40 x 24 and build the crate around that. A "half spot" on the trailer is much cheaper than a "full spot".

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, fishnwiz said:

Ship it USPS....WE handle everything like it was your great grandmothers fine china. 666

LOL, that must be why I pretty much refuse to use UPS ;)

I'll take the post office over UPS every time :)  :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

Ship it USPS....WE handle everything like it was your great grandmothers fine china. 666

I shipped two bumpers from a 69 cutlass from Maine to Michigan for chroming through USPS. Painted address on the inside and affixed postage to them and sent them just like that. USPS is worth considering.

I'm not biased because I'm a retired rural carrier or anything. Actually just the opposite.

• Like 1

Sent a set of tire chains to La. back in Nov. and Allendale Michigan can't tell me where they are, last log in .

I use USPS a lot ,first problem, buying and selling. Will continue to use , just wish they'ld hire some compentent people ?

2 hours ago, 720nut said:

Sent a set of tire chains to La. back in Nov. and Allendale Michigan can't tell me where they are, last log in .

I use USPS a lot ,first problem, buying and selling. Will continue to use , just wish they'ld hire some compentent people ?

Personally, I think "chit happens". Sorry you lost one, but I've had pretty good luck over the years with USPS.

I sent 500 plus packages through the post office in 2016, with no losses and no damage.

I sent over 700 in 2016 with 1 lost and 1 damaged.

Over the last 10 years or so, I can only remember 4 or 5 issues.

In that same 10 years, I might have sent 30 or so by UPS, and have had at least 3 damages, NONE of which they covered with the insurance I paid extra for. Their number 1 answer for any claim "Improper packaging".

I think most of my customers would tell you my stuff is either packed well, or over packaged.

One example. I shipped a 5000 watt generator. Strapped to a piece of plywood in the bottom of a cardboard box, stiff packaging all around. I shook it, tipped it, and turned it upside down to make sure it wouldn't move. Clearly labeled the box "THIS END UP" and Fragile.

I got it back loose, in a different box, dented on all 4 sides.

When I asked the manager at the local UPS store while I was filing the claim, "what does this end up mean to UPS?", his answer was and I quote

"To our drivers that usually means roll it and kick it" and I still did not get the insurance.....

Another case. I shipped 2 identical neon lights, packed exactly the same, 1 by UPS about 400 miles, the other through the post office, over 1000 miles. Wanna guess which one got there working and which one was destroyed ????

One more, though it didn't happen to me.

My mom ordered a small fire box / safe from Sears.

It arrived with the keys locked inside ???

So she called, they sent her a UPS label to send it back. I dropped it off at a local UPS drop center for her. They gave me no receipt, said they don't do that with a prelabeled package. She never did get her money back. According to the tracking number, it was never shipped, according to the store, the driver scanned it when he picked it up.....

Rant over LOL :):)

Edited by rokon2813

Well I guess my losing one box ain't a big deal ?  Well it is to me cause it was a set of chains for the 31x15.50x15 Powermax tires and I've only ever seen one set, now to lose them?

Yes they were insured but how do you replace something like that ?

Say what ya may but when I pay someone to do something for me I expect it done right, not half ( can't say that) !

36 minutes ago, 720nut said:

Well I guess my losing one box ain't a big deal ?  Well it is to me cause it was a set of chains for the 31x15.50x15 Powermax tires and I've only ever seen one set, now to lose them?

Yes they were insured but how do you replace something like that ?

Say what ya may but when I pay someone to do something for me I expect it done right, not half ( can't say that) !

No, I wasn't saying it wasn't a big deal. Losing something is always a big deal regardless of what is inside. My point was overall, they have a pretty decent record and nobody is perfect.

An occasional lost or damaged item out of millions is probably going to happen sooner or layer, unfortunately, luck of the draw...

And you are totally right in expecting what you pay for to be what you get.

BTW, did you get the insurance money ? I have never....

4 hours ago, 720nut said:

If I were you.....I wouldn't bother using USPS anymore now that we know your name! 666

If you SEEN the way a lot of people pack items that go through USPS that end up getting delivered.....you would be AMAZED!

Most items that are lost are due to too heavy an item placed into a flimsy card board shoe box or other container because the shipper is too lazy or does not want to add weight  to their package and end up paying more money.

Most containers break open when packed along with thousands of other items are stacked on top of flimsy boxed item, and that item is CRUSHED and said item comes out of it's packing and is loose with no identification.

Than again, there are times we simply don't feel like carrying a broken flimsy and heavy package  after sitting in a local bar for a few hrs so we simply toss the crappy packaged item into the river or down a steep bank and into the woods.:J

It's a FACT that in alot of areas in this country USPS is almost a form of welfare system with UNQUALIFIED people in charge. ....but I am sure " The Prez"will fix all that as he already has his sights set on Federal employees. 9_9

Edited by fishnwiz

You know Mark I'ld agree but it got picked up in Dexter next stop Allendale.

I'm assuming it got broke open as your saying,  And no Dan I didn't get a cent had to refund buyers money so guess I'm just out

just sent a package to Alabama and no problems.

Anyway done bitchin!!

My issue with the USPS insurance is you have to "prove" the value.

If it's a NLA item, how do you prove to them what it's worth?

BTW, they will NOT take Ebay as proof.....

Never heard of problems with claims being paid as long as both buyer and seller agree but have had no 1st hand experience with this issue.

So I tried U Ship.  You put what it is you are shipping out there, and a number of carriers bid on it.  So far, by far, the most reasonable.  Seems fairly straight forward and easy.  We shall see how it goes, and I will keep everyone informed.

• Like 1

I shipped a tractor to Lloyd via Fastenal, and priced shipping the engine to him as well.
For me, the BIGGEST advantage of Fastenal is the gal who works the shipping at the local shop. Very competent, knows what she is doing, great with the forklift, and is VERY VERY VERY good looking!!! 
(sorry about the drool on the tractor, Lloyd!) sm03 666

• Like 2