Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Aftermarket Carburetors

rich_kildow

I was digging around for parts on eBay and stumbled across these aftermarket carbs for my 7116:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sop=10&_nkw=391065&_sacat=0&_trksid=m194

At $30, this is cheaper than a rebuild kit...anybody ever used something like this?  Seems to good to be true, but I'm not one to pass up a product that is 99% the quality at 20% the cost.

Well, it says it ships from China but that is where there still selling the cast iron Briggs. Don't have any experience with them though. For that price that does seem like a really good deal. 

for thirty bucks I would take the chance and find out, I have used the cheap ones on my Kohlers and out of the box ok, don't know about long term yet.

I bought a carb. for the 6hp Tecumseh on my Cyclone Rake leaf vacuum recently--

when it arrived the first thing I noticed was there was no choke lever but there was a

red rubber primer bulb like you see on the 2 cycle weed eaters--works great I guess--

haven't got to use it much--we'll see in time.

I have posted on this subject several times.  You pay for crap from CHINA and you get CRAP from CHINA.  You get what you pay for. If its like the one I bought from China a year ago,  they are not cast correctly, the air cleaner tower is too short for it to fit properly after installation as the air cleaner cover will bottom out on the intake elbow. The quality of the casting is cheap. You can see the poor finish and scuffs on the mating surface. The lower half of the carb was so rough I actually dressed it out with JB weld and filed it smooth. The threads on everything are metric so you have to tap and rethread the base for the air cleaner stud. By buying DIRECT from CHINA you are sending 100 % of the profits to China. The throttle lever does not have the grommet in it so the linkage wire fits very loosely and poorly. You will have to manually choke the carb or install a longer cable and tap the carb body so you can install the screws to retain the new longer cable. These carbs also do not have the little  stone vent on the bottom like the OEM carb. The excess fuel will drain straight through the hole. This is not 99% of OEM quality. You will spend as much on the aggravation and extra parts to make it work, as you would to renew your original Briggs carb.

DSCN2066.jpg

DSCN2079.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

Edited by Chris727
  • Like 2

I purchased one of these in the 35 dollar range.  Un packaged it, bolted it onto the 16 horse, perfect fit, turned the key, started right up, ran and idled beautifully, ramped right up to full thrttle, and back down, no pops, hickups, or issues.  Didn't have to adjust a thing.  Bought another one for a backup.  Rebuild kit was 20 some bux, so I gave it a whirl.  Couldn't be happier.

• Like 1

Quality control indeed.  Probably like the China built engines, some self destruct in a few hours, many run for years.  No recourse if it's worthless I suppose. 

• Like 2

By the way, as I see on E-Bay there are many different suppliers, and prices, and therefor perhaps there are differences in what some of those posting above actually bought.  My good experience was with the seller  eprdistribution  Currently listed at 38 bux free shipping

Just an FYI  

Edited by Brettw
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brettw said:

By the way, as I see on E-Bay there are many different suppliers, and prices, and therefor perhaps there are differences in what some of those posting above actually bought.  My good experience was with the seller  eprdistribution  Currently listed at 38 bux free shipping

Just an FYI  

Yes, I see there are some other ones available now that might be better. Mine came in a "BBT" box.  Some of the other ones shown have the better looking choke lever (with holes pre-drilled for a cable) and appear to have the rubber grommet on the throttle lever. It makes me cringe to think of all the repairable original B&S carbs that were thrown in the trash when the over 1000 of these aftermarket carbs were sold.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, B-16_IC said:

Quality control indeed.  Probably like the China built engines, some self destruct in a few hours, many run for years.  No recourse if it's worthless I suppose. 

The company i work for exports all over the world including China. I always laugh when we have a China quality audit. To me China quality is an oxymoron. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Brettw said:

Just an FYI  

I thought they are all cousins, working in the one warehouse!

This topic was covered a short while ago here concerning those Briggs clone medium Flo-Jet China carbs. The one you show is the large Flo-Jet version. It is well worth a search here and it has some VERY informative information on those carbs.

You will find If you get one that works the first time you were very lucky. Some people took 3 tries. The internal parts are not the same as Briggs. I guess there is a kit available but not worth it as you can just, at the price, buy 1 or 2 a year.

My personal eye opener was a search that sent me to Amazon, yes they sell them. The negative feedback is a very high percentage. I am assuming Amazon has not deleted those feedbacks.

Briggs still lists the Medium flos for around $160.00 so I can not blame anyone for buying the china versions. You just need to know what you are getting into. Try not to pass up any Briggs carbs at auctions etc that fit engines you may have. They are not real hard to rebuild either. The main jet "nozzle" HAS to be removed first and installed last and you may need to grind an old screwdriver for jet removal. To see if one runs or leaks you can probably get away with the original gaskets . Then replace them if it works out. The gasket between the castings is available separate from Briggs  and found on ebay

Having rebuilt the Flo-Jets for a while now. I see the biggest problem with them is fuel leakage after shut down which often can be fixed by installing the missing fuel shut off valve or replacing the old one. They are also quite often warped between the upper and lower casting gasket. Doubling up the gaskets will often take care of that. Other fuel leakage troubles are mostly internal in the "nozzle" (long brass jet) area that is a tough one to fix and often condemns the casting.

FYI = Never toss a Flo_ Jet if you cannot get the main jet nozzle out because it is seized. Briggs makes a kit for that, Part No 19245 at around $11.00, last I knew.

Gary

• Like 2

Dogrommet!  The epr distribution carb doesn't appear to have the grommet on the throttle linkage.  The others do.  As my carb leaks like the proverbial sieve,  I thought I would pick up one of these cheapies to use whilst I rebuilt the original.

• Like 1

I just ordered a carburetor rebuild kit for the briggs 300421 at ereplacementparts.com .  They have some discontinued upper half for the large flo jet for $40. And lower half for $65. I think they may be NOS but not sure. They also have gas tanks for $83

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/briggs-and-stratton-300421014399-engine-parts-c-16758_17347_228048_228096.html

Edited by Missouri Blacksmith