Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New Tractor Registry is live

Kent

You may have noticed things shifting around on the menu or showing up in your Activity stream as we've worked on this new Registry this week.  It is now live, though there's a couple of small display issues that we'll report to the developer to get resolved.  .You can now start adding tractors, adding photos or modifications for existing tractors, etc.  Also note that you must be a registered user to view it, and you must be a club member to add tractors to it.

Here is the main Registry view:

main.screen.jpg

As noted, I have temporarily "Featured" my old Big Ten so you can see an example, with pictures and modifications (a new feature).  Note that in this view only, you can see a summary of the whole Registry on the right, and navigate directly to other areas.  There's also a statistical summary down below the pictures, not shown in this view.  I also have this page set to show only the latest entries that have pictures associated with them.  So, begin uploading pictures of your tractors -- you can add up to 15 pictures per tractor, but that total includes pictures of any modifications. (More on that later)

Here's a view at the Make (i.e. brand, such as Allis-Chalmers) level of the structure. I have added these views to menu also, so you can go to each Make directly.  

category_view.jpg

As noted in red, you CANNOT add a tractor at this level- you must select a specific model pr Series from the list below, or start at the Main screen.  In this new Registry, we are forcing you to select Make > Series > Model in order to organize the data into a correct, meaningful structure.  Note that if you click on any of the Series or Models, you can view a list of models in that Series, or list of the tractors of that Model.  I think this is much easier than trying to search or sort the old Registry to do that. 

If you cannot find your Model listed, use the Contact Us form to tell me where/what model to add.  I'm sure that I have missed some, but in several cases I listed an Other as a model. Alternatively, you can use that to add a tractor to the Other model, and then use the Contact Us link to let me know where it belongs and I will create the Category (i.e. Model) and move it there.  .  

Here is the view of the Registry entry for a specific tractor.  It shows the navigation menu to the specific makes that I described earlier.

tractor_main_tab.jpg

It also shows three tabs associated with each tractor.  One for the main screen (shown here), one to list the photos, and another to list the modifications.  As noted, you can have up to 15 photos per tractor, but that includes the modifications, and all of them will be shown at the top across all three tabs, and all will be listed on the photos tab (not shown). 

If you click the Modifications tab, you will get a screen that lists the major Modifications you have done to the tractor.  

modifications_tab.jpg

Each modification will have a thumbnail picture if you added a picture of that modification.  Also note that other members can Comment directly on your tractor's registry entry, and it will show across all three tabs, similar to the pictures above. 

If you click on a Modification in the list, it will pop up a screen that shows the description of the Modification.  That popup will display only the pictures related to that specific modification (but remember that they count toward the 15 total, and will show up across all three tabs.

modifications_popup.jpg

Note that you can optionally put in the cost of the modification, and the cost of the installation.  In this case, it shows the cost of the tires ($100) and the $15 that I paid to get them them mounted.

Also note that the Manage button across all all these areas in the Registry allows you to Edit (or delete) that part of the record.  For example, you could click it here to edit and upload more pictures specific to this modification.

Finally, note that a tab on your user Profile now lists your Tractors in the Registry so that others can quickly see your tractors, and up to 15 pictures of each one.  If you want to show more than 15 pictures of a tractor, you should create an Album in the Gallery for them, or a Blog entry.  Note that links directly to both your Gallery and Blog are tabs here, in addition to Videos, Classified Ads, etc.  If you are using an Album in the Gallery, or a Blog to describe your ongoing restoration, you can add a link there directly from the specific tractor.  The last field on the main screen in the Registry for a tractor is a URL link.  Use it to link to your Album or Blog entry -- so all of this content is interconnected through both your Profile and your specific tractor in the Registry.  

profile_view.jpg

Also, a green button will be displayed in the forums down below your user name on your posts and replies (just below the newly added Trader Feedback box) that shows how many tractors you have in the Registry.and is a link that allows you to go directly to that Profile Tab to see the list of them.  This is a quick way for you to go see the tractor that someone may be talking about, for example.

profile_info_forums.jpg

That is a quick overview of the new Registry.  I hope you like it!  If you try to use it, and find areas that are particularly confusing or complex, let me know, and I will create a step-by-step tutorial to help guide you and others through it.  

FINAL NOTES:  

1.  A couple of records did not get converted.  If you discover a missing record there's no alternative other than recreate it.

2. I had to hand-massage a lot of the Make > Series > Model information.  If you find your tractor is in the wrong category, you can edit it and move it to the correct category.

3. I had to create "Series" for the Simplicity machines also, by Model Number in most cases.  Some oldies are categorized by Serf, Yeoman etc.  Broadmoor may be a bit confusing -- with some models in the Broadmoor category while others are in the 5000 Series, for example.  If you don't find the correct place, look for an alternative.  If you can't find something that fits, use the Contact Us form.

4.  I've done about all I can with the data we had to work with,  It is up to you to add to or refine the info and most importantly, ADD PICTURES!  

5.  You can also start adding Modifications to the existing records, if you'd like. 

• Like 1

I did not point out that you can also start adding Modifications to your records in the Registry -- you just can't add new tractors yet. 

After you've explored this thing, let me know what you think of it...

• Like 1

• Kent pinned this topic

Because you don't get a lot of "feedback" I went and bounced around the registry for a bit to check it out.

I found a few issues, I'll try to explain, and if that doesn't work, I can go back and get screenshots.

1:  I get this message quite often, but not always in the same place. If I go back one page (back button) and try again, it usually goes away. And sometimes I get it when using the back button.

Sorry, there is a problem

Something went wrong. Please try again.

Error code: EX0

2: I've only found a couple entries that have a url at the bottom, but those that do, the link doesn't work.

One that I can find is gregc's JC Penney 494cc

If I click on the url at the bottom of the entry I get

The file you were looking for could not be found

This is the link:

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/gregc/494cc.jpg

and:

http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/carguy/CT-10.jpg

3:  I've found a couple "deleted" entries that still show up, and I can still go in and read them. Bottom one on the list..

58971d7f845b0_deletedregistry.thumb.JPG.938f6eaf73881635c150f827b0191f4e.JPG

4:   A lot of the "lists" have the yellow bar at the bottom, and under that "There's nothing here yet"

Not sure what should be there, but I thought it might discourage people from looking any further.

58971ed790c48_nothingthereyet.thumb.JPG.28b715cc7a7ee98a0dd441c1d3e7468c.JPG

Edited by rokon2813
  • Like 1

And a couple minor issues on the Registry Main Page.

2 columns "run together" and something is not quite right with the syntax I think.

589725d44d66b_registrymain.thumb.JPG.5e36bddb3561615422dac9b3f47d2c54.JPG

• Like 1

Thanks so much @rokon2813 tor taking the time to do that.

1.  We're still chasing a few things, now that we have the issue resolved with adding records -- I've had the programmer who's helping me in there several times this morning fixing minor things.  Plus I've reported two issues to the guy who originally developed the software we're using for the Registry.  Hopefully we can soon chase all these bugs to ground... 

2.  Those URLs are what members have put in there.  Some, like the one shown are from the old site and no longer work.  I deleted one from my Big Ten record this morning.  EDIT:  I went and found that picture of GregC's 494cc and uploaded it, and deleted that old link out.

3.  Those DELETED things you are seeing are members who've been deleted, not the registry entry itself.  I guess I could go through there and delete their tractors out also. I spent about 3 days hand-massaging this data, because it was full of errors such as B-10s being listed under Simplicity.  I could not see these issues with deleted members until it "went live" and tried to link the Registry records to the User records, where it found these members had been deleted.. 

4.  Those yellow lists and the message at the bottom are a bit harder to explain.  It is possible to add a record underneath any category.  But in this structure, I have subcategories underneath the top two levels, and not records.  The records are down at the lowest level of Make > Series > Model.  The actual records are underneath Model and not underneath Make or Series.  Does that make  sense?   Perhaps showing a view from the Research section where there are a couple records up higher in the structure will show what I mean:  If you look at the bottom of this screen, you will see that there are two records at this level, while the majority of the records are in the subcategories up above it.

http://simpletractors.com/research/allis-chalmers/b-attachments/

I'm not sure if I can make that message go away....

• Like 2

On the last two you described -- the words running together is a function of your screen width (it looks fine on mine) but I will report it to the developer, because that will be even worse on a tablet or phone  The syntax issue on the right has already been reported to him.

Again, thanks for taking the time to explore, test and document these.  I don't get much feedback...

• Like 2

First poking around the registry today. 

I'm not able to get anywhere - "my tractors", any of the manufacturer choices, etc.  I get the EX0 code Dan noted above.  Backing out and trying again doesn't help.  Here's a screen shot of the page I get when selecting the "Simplicity" menu item:

Registry_Problem.JPG.80a99a3c4b4df12bce1d3cfb839f3ea2.JPG

Maybe an IE problem again?  Or maybe I'm missing something?

I also posted this on a "contact form"

Some more poking around - I can get to the main page.  From the list on the right side, I was finally able to get to my 75th tractors with several "go-backs" and try again.

Edited by PhanDad
Some success acessing.
  • Like 1

Try just refreshing the browser screen when that happens -- that usually works.  Click the circular arrow or use the F5 keyboard key.  That's an issue I've identified to the developer of the software - he's working on it.

It's not unique to IE.  But sometimes it seems to happen more often than others.  

• Like 1

Once I "broke through", no more "EX0" errors for this "logon" session.  I was able to navigate fully. 

Also, once I "broke through" and got to one of my tractors (edited), I now have the green "# Tractors" box under my avatar.  Nothing was there previously, although all 7 of my registry tractors were (are) there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PhanDad said:

Also, once I "broke through" and got to one of my tractors (edited), I now have the green "# Tractors" box under my avatar.  Nothing was there previously, although all 7 of my registry tractors were (are) there. 

I'm a little slow on the uptake -- are you saying that the green box was not showing until you edited one of your tractors?  If so, I didn't realize that -- since I had been editing during testing.... I admit that I hadn't paid much attention.  I had seen Lloyd's, but he was in there poking around before I announced it.  

I guess that is the software's way of creating that box only if you have tractors in the Registry.  If so, that makes it even more important for people to edit their registry entry!  

• Like 1

Kent,

Correct, there wasn't any green box under my name until after my first registry session. 

Not sure exactly when the box showed up during the "registry visit", so I can't say for sure that the info appeared when I edited one of "my tractors".  Maybe the green box showed up when I first viewed one of my tractors. 

Edited by PhanDad
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, PhanDad said:

Kent,

Correct, there wasn't any green box under my name until after my first registry session. 

Not sure exactly when the box showed up during the "registry visit", so I can't say for sure that the info appeared when I edited one of "my tractors".  Maybe the green box showed up when I first viewed one of my tractors. 

It almost would have to have been on the edit (or post a new) tractor screen.  Browsing wouldn't do it, I don't think... It takes a "Post" action back to the server, to send that kind of information, I think.... 

• Like 1

Apparently you can't have multiple modifications for a tractor. 

Is this correct or is there a way to do it?  (For my Homelite T-12, I first used the "modification" tab for the tranny swap.  I was going to add a second for the AC310 NOS deck I "converted" to a Hommie  deck).

And are the above 2 events "modifications"?  I guess I'm into "rules/guidelines" today.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PhanDad said:

Apparently you can't have multiple modifications for a tractor. 

Is this correct or is there a way to do it?  (For my Homelite T-12, I first used the "modification" tab for the tranny swap.  I was going to add a second for the AC310 NOS deck I "converted" to a Hommie  deck).

And are the above 2 events "modifications"?  I guess I'm into "rules/guidelines" today.

Use the Manage (?) button on the bottom left.  One of the options is to add another modification. I think (without checking to verify) that you can have up to 10 per tractor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kent said:

Use the Manage (?) button on the bottom left.  One of the options is to add another modification. I think (without checking to verify) that you can have up to 10 per tractor.

TU

• Like 1

The mfg # for the tractor reverts to "0000000" when you edit your tractor.

At first I wasn't sure (maybe I didn't enter it originally), but I've specifically checked a couple of times and it resets to all zeros.

Is this by design or a bug?

PS- Just noticed Kent's Big Ten (Featured Tractor) mfg# is all zeros and I  bet it wasn't at one time.

Edited by PhanDad
Kent's Big Ten listed mfg#

Most definitely a bug or something.  The 0000000 is a default value, but it shouldn't be overwriting what is already there.  I'm going to change it so there is no default value, and see if that stops it from overwriting.

• Like 1

In my quest to input a tractor-a-day to the registry, I've come up with another issue: default picture.

I've uploaded pics in an order to have the "best" pic as the first pic uploaded.  That was working - as usually the first pic is the thumbnail that shows in  the various listing views of the tractors in the registry.  But this hasn't always happened and I've had to fight to get the pic I wanted to display.

I then discovered, in the "Images" tab, there's a green "default" box.  There's usually only one, but I've had more than one on some of my tractors, but the pic I wanted has been the thumbnail.  There's also a "filter by" and "sort by" dropdown choices.  But I don't see any way to select the "default" picture. 

Now on the 910 I added today:

https://simpletractors.com/collections/item/1179-phandads-allis-chalmers-910/?show=images

there are 3 defaults.  The mower deck is currently shown as the thumbnail.  I tried deleting, then adding the pics backs that that led to 3 "defaults" vs only 2.  I gave up and wrote this post.

Can you help?  

2 hours ago, PhanDad said:

In my quest to input a tractor-a-day to the registry, I've come up with another issue: default picture.

I've uploaded pics in an order to have the "best" pic as the first pic uploaded.  That was working - as usually the first pic is the thumbnail that shows in  the various listing views of the tractors in the registry.  But this hasn't always happened and I've had to fight to get the pic I wanted to display.

I then discovered, in the "Images" tab, there's a green "default" box.  There's usually only one, but I've had more than one on some of my tractors, but the pic I wanted has been the thumbnail.  There's also a "filter by" and "sort by" dropdown choices.  But I don't see any way to select the "default" picture. 

Now on the 910 I added today:

https://simpletractors.com/collections/item/1179-phandads-allis-chalmers-910/?show=images

there are 3 defaults.  The mower deck is currently shown as the thumbnail.  I tried deleting, then adding the pics backs that that led to 3 "defaults" vs only 2.  I gave up and wrote this post.

Can you help?  

I've never seen three marked as default -- but I have only added one modification with pictures.  You may be able to have a default for the front view, and a default for each modification.  I'm not sure.  

To set the default, click the button on the right, across from the image on the Photos tab:

Set_default.jpg

It will temporarily show two pictures as the default -- the original one and the one you just selected -- but when you refresh the screen, only the one you just selected will show. I have sucessfully changed the default on mine a few times, just as I uploaded two tractors back to back...

Sorry, but by now you have as much or more experience with the Registry as I do...

Kent,

For me, when in "browse" mode, there isn't the gear icon available as can be seen in this screen shot of the AC 910:

Registry_ImagePage_Browse.JPG.b7c2743be6df5330fda366875a7802d2.JPG

I only have access to the "Manage" box with  "Edit Tractor" and "Add Modification" (not including the "filter by" or "sort by" dropdowns) when viewing the Images page.

The bottom of my "Edit Tractor" page looks like this:

Registry_ItemsPage_Edit.JPG.2ecd7d70298f362a30633cb623d4a528.JPG

The only thing I can do with pics on this page is delete them (or add them). 

You probably have a different level of access to picture management on the Images Page. 

Can the Image page access level for a "regular" members be set to allow default setting?

Hopefully others are learning when reading my "problem" posts.

Thanks. 

PS - My 17GTH-L Image Page has 2 pics and 2 defaults:

Registry_GTHLImagePage.JPG.c5283cd484faaf4f62a49b0fab5197e7.JPG

Edited by PhanDad
Added 17GTH-L Image Page Screenshot

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 3:32 PM, Kent said:

...So, begin uploading pictures of your tractors -- you can add up to 15 pictures per tractor, but that total includes pictures of any modifications. (More on that later)

As noted, you can have up to 15 photos per tractor, but that includes the modifications, and all of them will be shown at the top across all three tabs, and all will be listed on the photos tab (not shown). 

Info:

I didn't remember the 15 pics total when adding pics for my tractors. 

My Homelite T-12 with 2 "modifications" has 21 total pictures - 2 pages of 10 plus the third page of a single pic (the default).

https://simpletractors.com/collections/item/588-phandads-homelite-t-12/

Little Johnny, always testing the limits... &:)

The setting says Images per Page -- I assumed that to be Tractor Registry page, but it must mean 15 pictures on main page, and 15 on each modification -- if it is working at all. It may have a bug -- I haven't tested the limits. 666

On your earlier point, there is no setting anywhere that allows me to give you more access, or less access to specific edit functions.  The only settings I see show Club Members with the same access level as me.  

Where and how were you deleting images earlier when you were trying to set the default?  Delete in an option on that same dialogue. Are you seeing the Delete option, but not the Set Default option?

Hopefully this doesn't mean another browser issue.  Let me do a bit more digging on that one...