Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Identifying a simplicity walk-behind

walkinggirl

Hi- Newbie here- My husband traded for this Simplicity walk-behind with rototiller attachment. Based on pictures, I'm thinking it is a Model W.  Can't find any labels/numbers for the machine or motor.  Is there a hidden spot that might give us some information?  The motor is a Briggs & Stratton, and it runs.  Can't get it into gear; it will roll if pushed.  Assuming we can get it ID'd, are there owner's  manuals available?  Thanks

P1000333.JPG

P1000334.JPG

P1000338.JPG

P1000336.JPG

• Like 2

Welcome aboard! Looks like a model W to me as well. That would be model 19 engine if original as it looks to be. Looks like a nice tractor,  I have a friend who has one and it is very impressive machine, the tiller would be my choice of implement on it.  It'll bury a troy built! 

• Like 2

walkinggirl; welcome to the site. I have an instruction manual and parts list for the W in a PDF format. If you send me your email addy in a pm I can send it to you. Nice looking W you have acquired...Dave

Edited by B10Dave
  • Like 2

Thanks for all the quick comments!  I did find the manual - on *ahem* another web site.  Got a picture of the shift pattern, and it works.  We were nervous to force anything before, having no idea what kind of pattern it had.  Got a neighbor building a tool bar for it, so I can break up the garden with a heavy cultivator, and drag out at least some of the quackgrass.  Unfortunately, with all the quack, I can't till it without making a real mess.  At least with the W I'll have some power to help me dig it out.  Have done it by hand all these years, but now my back complains! Looking forward to gardening again!

• Like 1