Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

no spark

dennis

I have a allis 310D with a k241 breaker less ignition it only has spark when I turn the key off after trying to start it

any suggestions on what it could be?

Edited by dennis
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, 720nut said:

Welcome to the club

Had to go look. Been dealing with Dennis so long I just assumed he was a member.

Gotta watch those quiet ones. 666

"Newcomer" is based on post counts. Kinda deceiving I guess. Dennis has been here almost 3 years..... &:)

• Like 2

Dennis, some of the folk who have just replied to you sometimes get a bit funny.  I think it could be winteritus, which is exaccerbated by snow, and lack of sunshine!  I find that if you question them, they start suggesting silly things, like sending me a truck load of snow, or a crate of groundhogs, or wanting to drink all my good Australian beer!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, 720nut said:

Boy nothing like calling the kettle black.

Mark would have thought he'ld have sent us a couple of beers each to try.

I have, they're in the post!

5 hours ago, dennis said:

BEERS! I could go for some of the ausi  stuff, trade for two ground hogs and a big mac :D

Is that with or without fries?

OMG, I think I am getting in too deep..... I was always taught that it is easy to confuse a simple person!  All this talk of crates of ground hogs, truckloads of big macs and droplets of beer has got me well and truly......  What hope have to get my Simplicity going?  Why are they called Simplicity?  Seems a bit personel to me?  Perhaps I'm a bit thin skinned and/or delicate?  Just joking!

• Like 2

We're AMERICANS...What do you expect! 

Watch yourself or we will ban you from coming to our great country! O.o

Edited by fishnwiz
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

We're AMERIANS...What do you expect! 

Watch yourself or we will ban you from coming to our great country! O.o

Did you mean Armenians? I'm not Armenian, but my BIL is. &:)

• Like 1

My guess is bad coil. Starter takes uses all the power until you let go of the key then transfers that energy to the plug. Had it happen on one of my motorcycles, would crank and crank and would only fire sometimes after I let off the start button

• Like 2

Your problem seems to be wrong ignition switch connection, You say you get spark with the key in the off position, so you are getting a spark.. I am a summing you have magneto ignition.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BLT said:

Your problem seems to be wrong ignition switch connection, You say you get spark with the key in the off position, so you are getting a spark.. I am a summing you have magneto ignition.

If the switch is the problem....shouldn't you be able to just pull the kill wire off to test for spark?

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 4:19 PM, dennis said:

I have a allis 310D with a k241 breaker less ignition it only has spark when I turn the key off after trying to start it

Is this a battery ignition system or a magneto/electronic ignition system.   I also think you have the wrong ignition switch.

If battery ignition: the switch off position is open and the on position is closed to provide 12v to the ignition coil.

If magneto ignition:  the off position is closed to ground and the on position is open.

Edited by MikeES
  • Like 1

I bought a switch from Brenda and it came with instructions on how to hook it up, did all that and had nothing. put the old switch in and had nothing

I think the spark switch is bad and they are expensive if you can find one. I ordered all the stuff I need to change it over for $55 with the correct switch

kohler had a bad idea when they used this set up lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

If the switch is the problem....shouldn't you be able to just pull the kill wire off to test for spark?

I pulled it off and still had nothing

• Like 1