Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Baron tractor

svon

I just picked up a Simplicity Baron, and was wondering if anyone might be able to give me any information on the baron series. It has a swapped in 16hp engine, painted yellow(needs to be redone), and a 46" plow. I am new to the tractor scene and would appreciate any help that you can give me. Thank you Stephen

Stephen, that 3414S Baron is a '74 and should carry "Manufacturing" or "Product" number 990979. It should be listed on page two of the "X-REF" table, but for some reason isn't. It is listed in the Engine Reference under "PARTS". It originally had a 30-cube 13 horse Briggs, contrary to what the model number implies. The Barons were a somewhat decontented Sovereign, sold to a price point. They are just as tough, but the possible trouble spot might be the Shuttle planetary. If it makes a screeching noise in reverse, it needs service (or replacement at about $400).
Fred