Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

wheels Mounted Backwards?

PhanDad

Surfing eBay, I came this GTH16 for sale.  Something looked odd in these pics:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

The rear wheels are mounted backwards (IMO):

s-l1600.jpg

Or is this a feature of the 16GHT?  It does keep the tires under the rear deck lips.  Why would you want a tractor to have a smaller rear track than front track?  The tractor's not likely to do high speed cornering. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Vagabond said:

Thanks for the link; interesting reasons for mounting Ag tires "backwards".

But in the case above, the Ag's are mounted correctly (at least how I was taught - "V" pointing where you came from).  The wheel is mounted "backwards", that is the deep part of the dish is inboard (unless they're equal offset and I don't think they are). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PhanDad said:

Thanks for the link; interesting reasons for mounting Ag tires "backwards".

But in the case above, the Ag's are mounted correctly (at least how I was taught - "V" pointing where you came from).  The wheel is mounted "backwards", that is the deep part of the dish is inboard (unless they're equal offset and I don't think they are). 

Ah!  I see.  So the wheels are mounted on the wrong sides.  And you can see marring around the circumference of the wheels where it was up against the hub probably.  And the wheel is cleaner there as if it were protected from dirt recently.  So maybe thrown back on by someone who didn't own the tractor and didn't know better?

• Like 1

Almost all wheels for lawn and garden are set this way your preference as to wide or narrow.

Sometimes like garden work to fit in narrow rows, I really don't think they are any narrower than the fronts

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 720nut said:

Almost all wheels for lawn and garden are set this way your preference as to wide or narrow.

Sometimes like garden work to fit in narrow rows, I really don't think they are any narrower than the fronts

Just perspective, eh?  The rears look about on the same plane as the running boards.  The fronts look like they extend beyond,  but could just be an optical illusion caused by close proximity of camera

• Like 1

I got a set of ag tires & wheels for my 210 Deere. Put them on with dish in, looked funny. Switched them side to side (dish out), still looks funny, only the other way.

58a25a7420a06_Tires7.thumb.jpg.7dce4a9ba1d38642b6500f97484053f9.jpg

May get another set and make 'em duals! 

58a25abd920c3_Tires4.thumb.jpg.9bdf0735b565a03f5a71fbaf7fa906ff.jpg