Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Victory is ours!

dhoadley

For months I've been wrestling, on and off, with a pulley from my Broadmoor 707/717/728. See, I've got 3 that I'm trying to make into 2 that work well and will take care of my small property. I have 2 attachments, and following the tractor for every attachment rule, it seemed like the way to go. But none of the 3 engines ran well, if at all. So I decided I would work on the at my leisure over the winter. Well, engine number 2 had other ideas. I got 2 sets of rings so I wanted to remove the pulleys and thus the battle began. Pressure, PB Blaster, heat, vibration shock (hit it with a hammer), repeat. And repeat. And repeat. I got it half off but no farther. So last night as I was falling asleep, I thought to lube the shaft that was exposed (I used 3-in-1 oil) bang it back as far as I could, lube anything that stuck out (maybe 1/16"), and start again. In under 10 minutes it was off! I need a replacement pulley. Just thought I'd share, Dave

DSC01995.JPG

DSC01996.JPG

Edited by dhoadley
  • Like 2

Another method I have used successfully was candle wax.   Heat the pulley and apply the wax to the opposite side.  The heat works to draw the wax through along the inside of the pulley and shaft.  You may end up using so much heat you destroy the oil seal though.  Speaking of which I have an engine off a Serf with a stuck pulley.  Got to look at that one of these days.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

I have bent many a pulley  back in shape without a problem.

Kinda my thinking to unless of course you have access to new one.  glad ya won dOd

• Like 1

Don't think that pulley can be rescued! David, I am sure I have a good one available if you want it. Your profile doesn't show your contact info. Send me a PM if you want me to send you a pulley!

TomSchmit

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, rich_kildow said:

Oh, come on!  A pulley isn't fully dead until you've put actual holes in it with a 3 jaw puller.

Does pulling it off the hub count as a hole?  666 

That tee shirt was no fun... and what convinced me to buy a cut-off tool.

• Like 1

On 2/13/2017 at 0:04 PM, TomSchmit said:

Don't think that pulley can be rescued! David, I am sure I have a good one available if you want it. Your profile doesn't show your contact info. Send me a PM if you want me to send you a pulley!

TomSchmit

Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I've been without internet service for 6 days. (Don't get me started!) I'll send you my info, Tom, that's a very generous offer. Thanx, Dave

Edited by dhoadley
  • Like 1