Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

More generator topic

JonetteP

With the increase in horsepower of the current units, why does simplicity not put a generator on them? We have been a dealer for a long long time. We currently sell Katolight units for all of our needs. I must confess though, the market is changing. The people who need generators, are the poeple who have a single household. A 7500 watt generator would keep the bare esentials running. Is this crazy or am I correct in the publics changing ideals? Thank You for your input. Neal Pierce

Case and point taken. I just checked out a 1987 B&S 16hp. It has been out of the unit since 1995 or 96. It has the original spark plug!

Dutch: I like your old Koehler genset. What is the year, hp., cyl. no., and output? Is it also 220? I'll bet you got it very reasonaably at an auction, right? That or it's from your business.... I'd like to find one, and I like to hear the stories of how things are "come by" anyway, if you don't mind. Gives me ideas on sourcing. (hmmm...new discussion topic?). Peter

I think most people today own tractors that can mow, push, and maybe throw snow, and that’s it. I don’t know if those tractors could mount and turn a generator/alternator. Another consideration is that electric power will often be interrupted during snow storms. That is when you need the tractor for clearing the snow, not sitting stationery turning a generator. How many people today know how to tap into the household grid, while protecting feedback into the power lines? It is probably easier to market a generator with its own Honda engine. Start it up, plug in an extension cord, and you’re in business (to watch TV). Plus, you can take it camping, to a worksite, lend it to a friend, etc. I have an old Kohler genset. It will run on gasoline, propane, or natural gas. Haven’t used it in over 10 years. http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/plant.jpg

Peter, There were two previous posts regarding the genset. One about the general specs, the other specific to the engine. Not sure of the year, HP in the mid 20s, twin cylinder, 7.5 kw, 115/230 volts. I got it through a "swap" deal. If you post a new discussion topic on acquisitions, and I'll tell a "swap" story.