Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Modifying and engine for pulling

JonetteP

Ok, I can make a two stroke a killer, but do not have the four stroke experience. Can anyone give me some hints on pushing my kohler to the max. Why don't they use briggs as often? Can you stroke a kohler by cutting the cylinder off and rewelding it? After this, how do you increase the stroke of the crank? Thanks in advance. Also, what is the best way to remove the layers of cords from the inside of the tires? My friend took two layers out to save wieght.

Neil, go to this site www.geocities.com/MotorCity/4795/GTINDEX.HTM and look at Brian pulling tips and engine modifications. The engine of choice is the K341. There are tons of after market parts for the Kohler and none for the Briggs. You can buy a whole Kohler engine with head and internal parts and none of it is mfg. by Kohler. The Briggs can be competitive in the basic stock classes, but if the class allows any mods, will force you into a Kohler engine. More compression? usually done with a longer rod and shaved head. My son and I have been pulling for 3 years, using AC tractors. Look at our story in Simple tractors "2001 pulling season". I would link directly to it if I knew how. Good Luck! Mike S.[A href='www.geocities.com/MotorCity/4795/GTINDEX.HTM']www.geocities.com/MotorCity/4795/GTINDEX.HTM[/a]

Don't have any experience with pulling or "trick" engines. I remove tire cords from the outside..... just by driving.

Wow! What a great "build up" article, and result! I was always curious as to exactly what went into those puller engines, as I've been to a garden tractor pull (complete w/ a "moving-weight" sled, and have heard them bark. Great job! Peter