Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Pickn find of today....Colt tractor

fishnwiz

I know very little about the Colt tractor line other than it was bought out by Case tractors in the late 60s. I am not sure what is stock or what has been altered on this tractor but I do know it was worth what I gave for it. Tractor has been sitting for 10+ years but it is not froze up and I am looking forward to the callenge of getting it up and running again.

IMG_6734.jpg

IMG_6738.jpg

IMG_6737.jpg

IMG_6735.jpg

IMG_6739.jpg

IMG_6736.jpg

IMG_6740.jpg

Edited by fishnwiz
  • Like 2

Neat looking. What is that that looks like a piece of wood under the starter-generator?  Fan looks like it chewed on something

That's an amazing find Mark!  It looks like a painted up Colt 2310.  Colts are HIGHLY desirable among the Case/Ingersoll crowd, as they were the predecessor to Case garden tractors.  Case hired Colt to build their first garden tractors (rebadged Colt), and then purchased Colt Manufacturing in the mid 60's.  Awesome machines.  I'm willing to bet that's one of your very best finds!  The Case guys will pounce if/when you ever list that for sale.

I recently (regrettably) sold my Colt Super 10.

20160102_105600.thumb.jpg.de48a5270987c9be317d22c1ad904527.jpg

Here's a brochure cover on that model:

coltlarge2310.thumb.jpg.a9eec4d243f2c3f3ca3cfcaeeb303e51.jpg

• Like 1

Wow

Love your super ten.

Thanks for the info. Will have to do some homework on this particular tractor. 

I know these tractors were built in Milwaukee and then moved to Wineconnie Wi before they were bought out by Case.

Pretty cool tractor but I am not sure what is stock and what is altered. Tractor was in the same family for 40 years. No deck

22 minutes ago, fishnwiz said:

I know these tractors were built in Milwaukee and then moved to Wineconnie Wi before they were bought out by Case.

Pretty cool tractor but I am not sure what is stock and what is altered. Tractor was in the same family for 40 years. No deck

Paint and grill look like your only 'issues'.  Guy must have been an Allis lover! ;)  

Wonder why they never had a dec?  What did they use it for?  

Mark I know a local collector who is a big Colt guy. If you are planning on letting it go shoot me an email and I'll get the two of you in touch.

1 hour ago, Talntedmrgreen said:

Paint and grill look like your only 'issues'.  Guy must have been an Allis lover! ;)  

Wonder why they never had a dec?  What did they use it for?  

Owners son told me that it was grandpas pride and joy and that he pulled a trailer with it to cut firewood on 7 acres of land they had upnort!

. I do have a bracket that I spied in the garage that may be the deck carrier bracket but am not sure so I took it with me.

Looks alot like a simplicity colors on it to me. 

Edited by fishnwiz

24 minutes ago, bowhunt4life said:

Mark I know a local collector who is a big Colt guy. If you are planning on letting it go shoot me an email and I'll get the two of you in touch.

Thanks Chris...I will be sure to let you know 1st when I sell.

• Like 1

That is one cool little tractor. You were fortunate to find it, and get it home!

They apparently figured out early to fan cool the hydro oil without going with engine shrouding.  This was probably very early in the hydro era.

The hydro portion of this tractor is unique and very over built. Can't wait to play with it if and when I get it running. 

Pulled the bowl on the carb and it was spotless inside so that was a good sign. Time will tell. 

6 hours ago, Chris727 said:

Nice find Mark. I hadn't known that some of the colts had Tecumseh's from factory.

I was thinking Kohler engine before I got a closer look. Motor appears to be the stock engine from what I can tell.

Pretty cool bit of Milwaukee history. ...right close to where I grew up.

GREAT NEWS...This baby runs like a charm!!   I am VERY HAPPY as one never knows when buying a NON RUNNING  Ran 8 years ago tractor....NO SMOKE either!  YEEE HAAdOd

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, macallis180 said:

That had to have been a real "rush" when it started and ran well!

It's one of my favorite parts of the hobby...after the hunt!

Great to hear Mark!  How do you like the ride?  I find them a little jerky, but on the spring mounted pan seats of the earlier models, youre also bouncing, so its more pronounced.

Im hoping to have the same luck with my Amigo!

Ride is stiff but has a rubber cushion type base on the bottom of the seat. I find it interesting that the tractor is not what I would consider a typical hydrostatic. It's more like a 3 speed tractor than a shift or excellerate on the fly.

Still amazed at the hydraulic setup.

Cool tractors, I mowed with a 160 Case once, definitely not my cup of tea. Love the look, but the hydraulic drive leaves something to be desired IMHO. Simplicity had them beat by a mile in driveability .

Gotta remember that these were some of the 1st hydraulic homeowner tractors of the time. 

The ride on this particular Colt is not noticeably different then the dozens of Simplicity tractors I have owned but it is not a spring seat and is fixed like the Simplicity. 

I will say the brakes are incredibly good and will toss you out of your seat on the Colt .

• Like 1

• Who's Online (See full list)

• littlefan
    • Johnsteer
    • Snojetter
    • JAV13037
    • andrew68
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts