Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Reading Obscure Metal Tags - Revisited

Hick

Some time ago a feller with the handle "dince" asked about reading a tag with corrosion, paint, and grease on it. "720nut" pointed him my way, and we messaged back & forth a bit. Told him to take several pix, different angles, different lighting, and I'd see what I could do with my picture program to enhance the numbers.
He replied he does not do email and asked for my snail mail. No problem.
Being the sharp oldster (almost 60) that I am, I kinda remembered the conversation, forgot who I had it with.
Then I got a letter from AUSTRALIA, of all places!
:o

Opened it up, letter inside, and something solid. He didn't send pictures, he sent the PLATE!!
Trusting feller! Of the post offices and whatever else it takes to get it half-way around the world!!
Okay, it IS a Simplicity plate. The only number that is clear is 10255. He is thinking it is off a Simplicity 725.
These pix are a first attempt, "hurry-up and see what shows up". The top is a scan, which hardly ever work good since the light is straight on. The other is me attempting to hold it in the house lights and get an image to show what we have so far.
There is glue on the back that I need to get off in case any strikes show up on the backside.  The 10255 shows up good on the reverse; the glue is actually transparent there!
It's gonna take some careful work to see what I can find out w/o damaging it further.
We failed to discuss my shop rate, though, and he has made some disparaging remarks about my preferred shade of green . . . . 666

Simplicity Plate 10255.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Hick said:

Some time ago a feller with the handle "dince" asked about reading a tag with corrosion, paint, and grease on it. "720nut" pointed him my way, and we messaged back & forth a bit. Told him to take several pix, different angles, different lighting, and I'd see what I could do with my picture program to enhance the numbers.
He replied he does not do email and asked for my snail mail. No problem.
Being the sharp oldster (almost 60) that I am, I kinda remembered the conversation, forgot who I had it with.
Then I got a letter from AUSTRALIA, of all places!
:o

Opened it up, letter inside, and something solid. He didn't send pictures, he sent the PLATE!!
Trusting feller! Of the post offices and whatever else it takes to get it half-way around the world!!
Okay, it IS a Simplicity plate. The only number that is clear is 10255. He is thinking it is off a Simplicity 725.
These pix are a first attempt, "hurry-up and see what shows up". The top is a scan, which hardly ever work good since the light is straight on. The other is me attempting to hold it in the house lights and get an image to show what we have so far.
There is glue on the back that I need to get off in case any strikes show up on the backside.  The 10255 shows up good on the reverse; the glue is actually transparent there!
It's gonna take some careful work to see what I can find out w/o damaging it further.
We failed to discuss my shop rate, though, and he has made some disparaging remarks about my preferred shade of green . . . . 666

Simplicity Plate 10255.jpg

Chris, I am sure those disparaging remarks you refer to came from my twin brother, or perhaps fellow member 720nut has infiltrated my details and has attempted to impersonate me!  Me, being of sound mind and with not a mean bone or malicious streak in my body, surely could not be accused of such unkindness!

Notwithstanding, it does seem I have handed you a challenge.  I presume each model had it's own sequence of serial numbers ie the 10255?  Is the Manufacture Number painted on to the tag, just to the left of the serial number?  I thought I could see semblence of numbers, but stopped scratching as soon as I thought I was causing damage.

I am OK using email, just have trouble taking photos that I can download.  An aforementiond member suggested I buy a a special camera for that purpose, but me, a poor Aussie, who feeds his family on stewed rabbits and boiled wheat, could not afford such extravagance!  I trust you will consider my circumstances when deciding on your hourly charge out rate!

I certainly appreciate your endeavours!

David

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Missouri Blacksmith said:

Has anyone ever made a repduction of the origional tags? 

Vintage Decals, aka Clickit-n-Stickit -- one of our sponsors - can reproduce them in vinyl. If they don't already have that design in stock, they can make it based upon a good photo.

• Like 1

Who is Chris? 
Thanks for the number suggestions. It helps when looking for numbers. The problem is you may "see" something you expect instead of what really is. 
Here is the pix I used to get the Model Number for my DA 1920. It wasn't all that difficult, since the choices from the above references were limited.
58acea241bf7c_DeutzPlatesTractor.thumb.jpg.69cce89197c895e3c0b496f61ef8ee51.jpg

Getting the numbers off my deck tag was another story! The tag was twisted as if it were plastic and got some heat. Took 14 pictures and played with them on the photo editing program to enhance the best I could. 

STILL wish those people would have made tags that would last YEARS, like the one on my 1979 & 1980 John Deeres! (OOPS! I did it again! 666 )58aceac939ddf_DeutzPlatesDeck.thumb.jpg.a5041d249cb06a445afaaca0dcb3684d.jpg

• Like 1

Hick, my apologies for calling you Chris!  It's lucky I wasn't addressing a post to Lloyd...... imagine what I might have called him!

and yes, the subtle inference to another brand/colour was noticed, but don't expect any offensive comments until you have fullfilled the obligations of our contract!

David

• Like 4

7 hours ago, dince said:

Hick, my apologies for calling you Chris!  It's lucky I wasn't addressing a post to Lloyd...... imagine what I might have called him!

and yes, the subtle inference to another brand/colour was noticed, but don't expect any offensive comments until you have fullfilled the obligations of our contract!

David

I'm kind of speechless &:) 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dince said:

David

You misspelled "color" . . . 666

• Like 1

On 2/23/2017 at 7:40 PM, dince said:

Wow, that looks really great!  By golly, it's putting the pressure on Hick!  My tag is certainly less clear than your original.

David

And the appearance of the two plates are VERY similar, even to the wording breaks in the "when ordering" line.
Gives me some idea of where to look.

• Like 1