Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Exhaust valve guide question

dhoadley

I'm rehabbing a couple of older Broadmoor engines 191700-0638-01. I can't seem to find a part # for the exhaust valve guide that needs to be replaced. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanx, Dave

• Like 1

FOR CAST IRON 19XXX SERIES ENGINES WITH SINTERED (GRAY COLORED) VALVE GUIDES ENGINES. WHEN INSTALLING REPLACMENT BUSHING 230655. DO NOT REMOVE THESE BUSHINGS.  

From B&S the Briggs service and repair Instruction manual.....

Briggs wants you to use reamer 19183 and reamer guide bushing 19192 to ream the worn guide. ( lube with kerosene), Only ream to 1/16" deeper than the new valve guide bushing, 230655, length.  DO NOT REAM THROUGH THE GUIDE.  

Press in the new bushing until the top is flush with the top of the valve guide. Use a soft metal driver (brass, copper etc.) so the top of the new bushing is not peened over.

The bushing 230655 is finished reamed to size at the factory. No further reaming is necessary, and a standard valve can be used.

I hope there is enough info here to enable you to get the job done even if you need to do some work around. Both of the tool part numbers are shown as NLA on the Briggs site.  Maybe a local Briggs dealer has them. I have a lot of those tools I have picked up over the years but did not have the 19183 I could measure for you.

Gary

Edited by briggsetc
updated iformation
  • Like 1

The kit I need is 19232 and I found 2 online at well north of $100. I'm thinking I may have to just wing it and go the repower route if I mess it up.

• Like 1

I sure learned something on your post. Turns out there are 2 ways Briggs has to replace the guides depending on an aluminum or cast iron engine. I did update my first post.

Yours should be aluminum by your type numbers and their repair procedure requires that kit.

I see what you mean by the price of the 19232 kit. It is a kit to pull old guides out with a lot of parts in it. Two reamers, bushing puller, guide, washers and a driver. Used for aluminum engines.  After you get the old bushing out you go to their chart to see what part number you need depending on what you take out depending on length, type (sintered, brass, aluminum, groves found, if any).  Then get your part number out of the 6 numbers.

This is what the Briggs parts site shows on the 19232 kit          19232   VLV GUIDE PULLER    $0.55

Yes 55 cents. I have seen a lot of those unbelievable, or misprinted,  prices lately. I have never checked further on those low prices but it might be worth a call to a dealer. Briggs has been weeding out a lot of older parts in the last year or so but they usually show up as obsolete or a superceded number. Maybe it could actually be bought for that price.

The repair instructions are long and a little confusing. The best I can do is make a pdf and get it to you. I will message you with my email address if you decide to do that.

The manual for this valve guide repair is the black Briggs one found all over ebay. The red one made up to the late 80s may not have this particular information until they were updated in later production.

If the engine was not going to be a work horse I would be temped to use the procedure I put on the first post with modification, or common sense, and get a brass bushing in it.

Gary

• Like 1

Yeah, I saw that $.55 and dismissed it. If it looks to good to be true, it probably is. I've got 2 guides coming in. I have 3 engines I'm turning into to runners. I'm gonna dig into the other 2 and see what their guides look like. I have a guide tool kit for other B&S engines so I may take a swing at the worse of the 3 engines with what I have on hand. I may just run the best 2 of 3 the way they are. We'll see, Dave

• Like 1

Sounds like an excellent plan, especially If your kit is for 5/16" guides. I would be interested in how it works out. I get the feeling you have the skills to figure it out. 

Gary

• Like 1