Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

a_sannine

unbelievable KT17

a_sannine

I helped a friend to get his 7117 going today , he bought this tractor a while back and been straggling with it , runs then dies , over heats , all kinda weird symptoms,

Finally I was able to get to him ,   he said that he cleaned the carb lol , I checked the normal things , plugs , points , carb adjustments , fuel pump all looked good .

I flushed system , didn't help .

I decided to take the carb out , he said no I just rebuilt it last week , I insisted  , after taking it out as I am looking I couldn't believe my eyes , that carb sucked a rag that blocked the  elbow side , u can't see it from the top , so packed like a rock , I took the elbow out and cleared it , I fell on the floor laughing, it seem the first guy who sold it  to my friend messed it up , then got sicken tired of it giving him hard time .

I told my friend I thought u rebuilt that carb , he goes  I can't believe I didn't see that  rag in there.

Edited by a_sannine
  • Like 4

Talntedmrgreen
3 hours ago, a_sannine said:

I helped a friend to get his 7117 going today , he bought this tractor a while back and been straggling with it , runs then dies , over heats , all kinda weird symptoms,

Finally I was able to get to him ,   he said that he cleaned the carb lol , I checked the normal things , plugs , points , carb adjustments , fuel pump all looked good .

I flushed system , didn't help .

I decided to take the carb out , he said no I just rebuilt it last week , I insisted  , after taking it out as I am looking I couldn't believe my eyes , that carb sucked a rag that blocked the  elbow side , u can't see it from the top , so packed like a rock , I took the elbow out and cleared it , I fell on the floor laughing, it seem the first guy who sold it  to my friend messed it up , then got sicken tired of it giving him hard time .

I told my friend I thought u rebuilt that carb , he goes  I can't believe I didn't see that  rag in there.

amazing!  Maybe I should tear mine apart again and look for a rag!  Mine ran like a top, then poof...runs like a dog.  Im not sure where to start on diagnosing it.  Plugs look like charcoal after just a few minutes of running and shes very weak.  Still starts real easy though.

• Like 2

Hick

Could be worse. I read a story about an engineer that fired up a steam locomotive and let out the throttle. It went to full throttle, but would not come back off! He could change directions, but not speed. So there he was, running back & forth in the yard, until the steam died down enough to stop the engine.
A mechanic had failed to get a rag out of the steam dome after maintenance; blocked a valve to full open.

• Like 2

fishnwiz
4 hours ago, Hick said:

Could be worse. I read a story about an engineer that fired up a steam locomotive and let out the throttle. It went to full throttle, but would not come back off! He could change directions, but not speed. So there he was, running back & forth in the yard, until the steam died down enough to stop the engine.
A mechanic had failed to get a rag out of the steam dome after maintenance; blocked a valve to full open.

That's a bit more scary than a lawn tractor.

• Like 1

720nut
2 hours ago, fishnwiz said:

That's a bit more scary than a lawn tractor.

I'll have to agree, Oh by the way spent a couple hours in Owosso Mi. yesterday looking at the Polar Express train engine, very impressive.

forgot camera.  Just thought I'ld mention as topic changed to trains.

glad you found problem.

• Like 2