Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Dince's ID tag Update

Hick

No, I don't have a break through.
But I am having fun trying!
Google: How to remove corrosion from aluminum? Boil in vinegar water.
NOTE: I used an old aluminum pan I got at a garage sale, not my wife's good SS pan. 37 years of marriage has taught me a FEW things!!!
IMG_20170224_204354331_HDR.thumb.jpg.dee0e922cad8e72856ae5c0d18727633.jpg
Okay, give it a shot. Boiled for 15 minutes, at least that should pull the glue off the back if nothing else, right?
Nope. It may have changed it enough to make it easier to get off, BUT: The reason for getting the glue off the back was to see if I could read any stamped #s from the back. Then realized the Model # would be permanently imprinted on the plate already, not stamped after the fact, so it (most likely) won't show through.
Once boiled, I then rubbed the edges with my chain mail scrubber (for cast iron) to get the paint off AND to see if it would scratch the aluminum. It did (both).
Put it away, and broke out the bamboo shish-kabob sticks.  Broke one in half and used one broken end to hold the tag down (back in the pan with the vinegar water), and the other broken end to scrub at the corrosion & whatever. The theory is the bamboo would be softer than the aluminum. Could see some cleaning action, on parts of it, BUT where (I think) the numbers are is badly pitted. I can read more of the letters at the bottom, so made a tiny bit of progress.
Next is to break out my Tasco handheld 30X microscope (don't laugh, that $10 toy has helped me out in many things) and see if that sheds any light on it.

• Like 1

Well, the microscope wasn't any help. I can read the words on the bottom with the naked eye, can't even make them out at all under the 'scope. Guess the contrast is washed out somehow under magnification. A subtle color difference seen with the eye, such as the edge of the box where the serial # is stamped, cannot be seen under the 'scope. Even knowing what letters in the words I should be seeing, I cannot make them out.

Edited by Hick
  • Like 1

Yep, I have dished up a challenge to you!  Don't feel obligated to waste time on it, as it won't affect the performance of my tractor.  I certainly appreciate your endeavours, and I will bring you a genuine traditional Aussie reward when I come to the US next!

David