Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B112 throttle cable issues

theniteowl

Both of my B112 tractors are having issues with the throttle.  

One will not stay where set because the knob has worked loose at the end of the cable and you cannot twist it to lock it in position.

On the other tractor the cable has become difficult to pull and consequently the knob is popping off.  I can pull, clean and lube the cable but I still have a loose knob which will likely only get worse.

Anyone find a way to get these working reliably again or is there a source for replacements for the type that twist to lock?

It's frustrating when you are out plowing and have to keep pulling the throttle back as the engine creeps towards idle.

• Like 1

I replace the original throttle on the flat hood tractors with one from a 700 or 900 series (or Simplicity equivalent). You can pick them up on ebay or likely member Dan Lonnen Rokon 2813 for $20 +/-.  I drill a hole in the left side of the mast tower for the "new to me" throttle mount.  You can replace the plastic washer when worn on these.

The twist and lock ones never seemed to work well for me either.    

• Like 1

I do have throttles from the later tractors like Gene says, or last I knew RayS, Ray Stoddard sold replacement locking throttle cables to keep it original.

Edited by rokon2813
  • Like 1

Thanks guys.

I see now that the cables are available they are just out of my price range for a while while other expenses are higher than normal.  The twist lock on these cables work but the knobs themselves have become loose on the ends so they twist on the end of the cable before the twist lock has enough force to hold the throttle.  Hoping to find a way to restore the grip of the knob.

Before I replaced the cable on my B-110, I used the tried and true stack of wooden "pinch type" clothes pins to keep the throttle at various positions.   I even shaved one a little thinner so you could get max throttle.

• Like 2

When I ran a B-112 some years ago I used a piece of old rubber fuel line with a slit cut lengthwise to keep the cable pulled. When I didn't need it I slid it on the edge of the hood for storage. C|:

• Like 1

• 10 months later...