Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC/Simplicity carts

PatRarick

I have the dump cart with brakes that came with my Wards Plow Trac (Simplicity model V) the reason for the brakes is quite simple, the early walkers have a solid axle and a ratchet clutch on each wheel to allow one to overrun when making a turn. When going down hill, both clutches freewheel and the thing takes off like a runaway train. This is why I had previously posted a warning about trying to back one off a trailer, I almost killed myself the day I brought it home.

Me again. Could someone please elaborate on these trailer brakes? How do they work? Are any pictures, diagrams, or patent drawings available?

The brakes are barely visible in the picture of the cart for a walker below. They were entirely mechanical, and simply pushed a friction block to rub against the trailer tires. Very reminiscent of those used on old horse-drawn wagons.... http://www.simpletractors.com/images/walkers/cart_fig2.jpg

I do not think the later carts without brakes are those of Simplicity design, my grandfather has a bolens cart with the same dump mechanisms and all,-BradW

Does anyone know if Simplicity manufactured these carts, or was the construction farmed out? A Simplicity dealer claims that he can get these carts without the Simplicity name on, and retails them for $189. They are painted black. Anyone know anything about this? Pat

I suspect Jackson made it. Or they copied it without a patent...Woody[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/ShowMessage.asp?MsgID=6295&mode=short&startwith=0']http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/ShowMessage.asp?MsgID=6295&mode=short&startwith=0[/a]

The picture Fig 2 was sold by wards for there Plow-Trac the simplicity model had the flip over seat.Is a much better ride than the board.I have a orinigal trailer.Brakes were missing but they are not that hard to make.I have made a couple of frames for them.They are just 1/1/4 hot rolled steel I made a jig up to bend the steel and we keep the steel at work for just this project.I had some boxes bent up at a local fab shop.They are not perfect but are good for around the yard.If anybody finds just the body I would be very interested in a few of them.Bob

Pat, I think that they are a Simplicity design for sure, dating from the days of the walking tractors that also had a seat mounted on them. I'm not sure if they subcontracted the work or not... On a side note -- I wonder when they quit offering the "brakes" on the cart either as standard equipment or an option... With heavy loads the additional braking could come in handy -- going downhill, a heavy load COULD actually try to lift weight off the back of the tractor, if it weren't load-balanced correctly -- a potentially serious problem. If you can find an aftermarket source for $189 -- please share it. These are definitely a "cut above" the Agri-Fab or Brinly carts in the thickness of materials and the unique dump feature. My biggest complaint with the aftermarket carts is that the bed is up above the wheels, giving too high a center of gravity for my hillsides.... http://simpletractors.com/images/walkers/cart_fig1.jpg

I guess if anyone cared enough, they could contact Ohio Steel, determine the facts, and let the rest of us know. In the previous thread, Kent was pretty sure the Simplicity carts were made as early as 1953. Ohio Steel wasn't founded until 1958. While that #2 Cub Cadet cart is not exactly like Simplicity, it does have what appear to be common design/manufacturing features. Did someone "borrow" or "steal" those features? Did the patent (if indeed one ever existed) expire? Is it a mere "coincidence"? So who is going to unravel the mystery?

Kent, that 'seat' reminds me of the old wood spoked standard '50' wagon we used to use to store wheat seed in for next years planting..MPH

Kent, Here's some possible answers to your brake question. The 2 wheel walk behind tractors didn't have brakes (did they?). So if you were riding on an attached cart, you needed something to stop. When the Allis B-models were introduced, Simplicity figured you guys could drag your feet to stop, and cart brakes weren't needed. In 1964 Simplicity showed a cart pulling 7650 lbs. A few years later (after Ralph Nader killed the Corvair) the cart capacity was reduced to something more civilized. The price was increased (more $$ for the insurance fund), and the cost of brakes was eliminated (still more $$ for insurance).

MPH, I've pictures of another cart somewhere that had the old "ag type" steel seat with big holes in it... those things were "blisters looking for a place to happen" when you had to bounce around rocky hillsides all day. We had them on horse-drawn (actually we used mules) disk harrows, hay rakes and mowing machines (sickle-bar type)... Dutch, if you've never had a tractor "run away" on you, you've missed a real thrill. When I was about 12 or maybe 14, I was driving a Ford 8N pulling a load of hay that looked like the picture you posted (75-80 bales). When I started downhill toward the barn, it "overpowered" the tractor, which was in 2nd gear. I stood up on the brake pedals (dual pedals), turned off the ignition switch -- which still didn't help, and finally drove it up another hillside to stop it. My poor brother-in-law who was on top of the load where he'd been stacking it, was a white as a sheet. When I tried standing up on the brake pedals to put all my weight on them, he thought I was getting ready to jump off and "abandon ship" with him still up on top of the load of hay.... I didn't have to go change my pants, but I did have to sit for a few minutes, calm down and cool off! That's one of many experiences that I don't care to repeat....

Kent: If I was your brother-in-law, and I thought I saw you makin' ready to abandon ship, (standin' on the brakes w/ both feet!) I'd have probably needed a "change of clothes" myself. Peter

Kent, my dad always said those holes in them old seats were there so the hemroids they 'the seats' created had some place to fit..MPH

I don't know the differences between Wards and Simplicity carts, but the pictures I linked in are from this Simplicity manual at the link below, so I suspect they were Simplicity carts... may not be, though. [A href='http://simpletractors.com/walkers/walkers.htm'][img src='http://simpletractors.com/images/walkers/ft_cover.jpg'][/a]