Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Aftermarket loaders for B-series

Kent

I've located two different aftermarket loaders in the Northeast that are for sale. One is a Quik-Way, the other a Johnson Workhorse. This is the attachment on my "most wanted" list, though I've yet to rationalize the expense... I'm certainly not ready to pay the asking price for the few L-12s or L-112s I've seen. I can't rationalize that much usage -- I'm not questioning their value as a rare attachment.... Has anyone adapted one of these aftermarket loaders to an early Allis or Simplicity? How complicated and expensive was it to build the sub-frame or hook up the pump? I'm not sure that I'm ready to "jump" but I would like to know how the TOTAL price stacks up.... If I could weld, I'd be tempted to go after one of the plans or kits -- but since I can't, I'm trying to consider alternatives. Thanks! Kent

Kent, Welding isn't all that mysterious with today's welders and rods. I built a circular stair case about 20 years ago and amortized the welder and cutoff band saw over the cost of the stairs. About $300 at that time against a $1400 kit that wasn't as nice. CAD plans are pretty good outfits and for less than $600 you can be in the welding business and have a bargain loader too. I'm on the second welder (one upgrade) and the original saw 20 years later. My $.02 Ron

Kent, Welding is not that difficult, I have an old Linchon 180 amp and a Century wire feed that I use, and could not for the life of me get along without. Once you use a welder you cannot understand how you got along with out one. If you want to get into welding, start with a stick welder, it will do all you want to do, they are not that $$. You can fabricate anything you want, and it is fun! Floydster

Thanks for the input guys -- that may still be the way to go. Personally I like the plans below better than the CAD Plans which have only one lift arm (in this size)....[A href='http://www.p.f.engineering.50megs.com/'][img src='http://www.p.f.engineering.50megs.com/images/finished_product.jpg'][/a]

Kent, Don't be intimidated by welding, like everything else, it all comes down to practice. My suggestion would be to take a night school class at the local high school before investing any $ in equipment. The nominal cost will be repaid many times over. Also, most classes let you build your own "project" for practice. Dan

Here is a picture of my Johnson Loader on one of my B-1's. Picture was taken in December of 2000 as I haven't had to use it this year for removing snow. I had to fabricate the mounts which wasn't that difficult using a chop saw and wire feed welder. Kent, If you would like I could take some pictures of the mounts and e-mail them to you. Bruce http://spider.smig.net/users/bfrondal/Dec_2000_snowfall.jpg

Bruce, I'd love to see how you mounted it. I've heard really good things about the WorkHorse, and would like to see what I'm up against.

Kent, I'll try to do it tomorrow. I'll post the pictures and leave a message with a link so all can see. Bruce

Bring the stuff on over I'll adapt//weld it up for you!Have a chop saw plasma cutter, torch and a welder we can do ANYthing not just steel either!Plasma will cut copper stainless brass alum,etc!

I may end up doing that, Dave. I've about talked myself out of re-doing the back yard this spring, since I must (missus says so!) re-do the front and side this year since the add "curb appeal"... Plus, next year I'll have 4 or 5 weekends a month since I won't be spending two weekends a month with Uncle Sam... I'm pretty confident that I can do what I need to do in front with a tiller, Johnny Bucket and HD dozer blade, though I'm going to have someone else yank out some large evergreen shrubs for me. That gives me a little time to get "equipped." I checked on renting either a skidsteer or a B-21 Kubota with bucket/backhoe -- the skidsteer was $500 a weekend (16 clock hours) and the Kubota was $575... certainly makes the option of my own loader look more reasonable. I also checked on the "pre-welded" kits from PF Engineering (link above), where all you do is add hydraulics, but the guy who's doing that is in Port Arthur, Texas, so shipping would be expensive.... I'm just "tire-kicking" at this point, considering alternatives, trying to figure out what to do, and what it's going to cost me....

Kent, Your rental prices are sky high out there. When I built my pole barn last summer I rented a bobcat with a bucket and a 18" diameter auger for 1 day. Picked up at 7am, returned by 7am the next day. If I'm remembering correctly it was $185. I think most over the weekend rentals here are the same. Pickup at 7am Friday (or Sat. if the rental co. is open on Sat.) and return by 7am Monday so all weekend counts as only 1 day. They don't care about "clock hours" around here. Ended up letting the neighbor drill dozens of holes for his fence when I was through so the thing ran many hours. Brent