Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A little breezy this week....

rokon2813

Had a little wind storm here in Western New York this week. Gusts to 70 plus...

Went without power for about 24 hours, and without internet for 30.

I have an older (2007 built) Champion (Chinese I think) brand 3000 watt 6 1/2 hp  generator I got a hold of this past fall.

I used it a month or so ago for a couple hours,  just for a couple lights and coffee pot, so no real idea of its capabilities.

So I dug it out, started on 1 pull :) and started plugging things in. Refridgerator, full size upright freezer, coffee pot, 3 lights, and the wood furnace. Later added a portable dvd player and TV for the kids, and a couple phone chargers.

I'm impressed. When the large, old furnace blower kicked on, it would lug way down for a few seconds till the blower was up to speed, otherwise it held up fine.

Not knowing the unit, I filled her with gas (no idea what it holds) about 9:30 pm then headed out to buy more gas, figuring I would need some in the wee hours of the morning.

At 5 am, it was still running, and it was cold out so I figured I'd let it go till it runs out just to figure it's "mileage".

At 8 am, I guessed I'd better put some gas in it LOL. Opened the cap and it looked like it had plenty, so I let it run some more. At 1:30 pm I figured I was pushing my luck....

So, I shut it down, checked the oil, still had almost an inch of gas in the tank, and filled 'er up. After 16 hours I could NOT get a full 5 gallon can in it.....

Really, 16 hours on 5 gallons, I think it's a keeper........

BTW, i started it back up at 1:45, slowly plugged all the cords back in (house floor looked like spagetti), turned the dvd player back on for the kids, sat down on the couch, and the power came back on :)

Lots of damage around the county, schools closed for 2 days, semi's overturned, many people still without power, but I think we got out of it fairly well.

Top blew off the chimney, 1 shed needs a few shingles replaced that I just put on in October, and 1 small pine tree went over. This same tree went over about 10 years ago, and I stood it back up and staked it. Might have to try again... I even found a marker light lens off one of my trailers in the neighbors yard.

3 5 17 001.jpg

3 5 17 002.jpg

Edited by rokon2813
  • Like 1

Yeah, I'ld say it blew a little.  We were one of the lucky ones flickered but never went out.

Thousands in Michigan without power and guess they're telling people might be Sunday before some get power.

Did lose a couple shingles but nothing bad, I need to kneal and say a thank you prayer.

• Like 1

It's been windy here also, but not as bad as you experienced. 

Glad to hear your damage wasn't too bad.  Some folks got hit pretty  hard.  Hope the "Top blew off the chimney" was only a metal "top" and not masonry. 

• Like 1

Had some crazy wind here on top of Pinnacle Hill.  Something smashing every 30 minutes that we never could find. This is an old 1860's farmhouse that holds it's own remarkably well.  I suppose anything that could blow off has blown off.  Good to hear you're back in business.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, PhanDad said:

It's been windy here also, but not as bad as you experienced. 

Glad to hear your damage wasn't too bad.  Some folks got hit pretty  hard.  Hope the "Top blew off the chimney" was only a metal "top" and not masonry. 

The new one we will be buying looks like this. Ours is not nearly as round, as tall, nor as symmetrical (now) LOL

chimney cap.jpg

Edited by rokon2813
  • Like 1

Still lots of work for the power company. Many still without.

Our power went out about 2 pm on Wednesday.

We got ours back around 2 pm on Thursday.

Mom, about a mile south got hers around 4 pm on Thursday,

Brother about 2 miles east got his around 8 pm on Thursday.

Brother about 4 miles west got his around 9 pm on Friday.

Friends 5 miles east still out.

Relatives 10 miles east still without....

Hello, I live south of Grand Rapids, And the wind on Wednesday was destructive  Our power went out on wednesday!   Thursday We bought a Generator.    but was unable to connect it to the furnace ,friday morning it was 52 degrees in the house  I called the furnace repair guy and he fixed us up.  saturday at 5:00  the power was restored.   3 days with  no running water . 

Now back to normal

Thanks Ken in Mi

I do hope you and your kin are are well, and that material damage can be repaired readily!  Mother nature is certainly good at dishing it out.  My thoughts are with you all!

David

• Who's Online (See full list)

• ShaunE
    • B10Dave
    • maxwood
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts