Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Back at it again...

Mike_H

Been away for a while...Don't remember the last time I logged on.  Couple of things have been interfering, My sis in law was diagnosed with Breast Cancer, so My wife left for 6 weeks to take care of her.  Working 50+ hours a week and taking care of the fur-babies and the house has a tendency to chew up any available free time.  I also decided that I should buy a wrangler...Something I've always wanted.  Anyway, Sis-in-Law is on the mend, they were able to get all her cancer, with large margins.  So she won't need any chemo or radiation.  Excellent news on that front.

I found my jeep, and brought it home a couple weeks ago... been working on bringing that up to snuff (fluids, brakes, etc)  Everything you normally do to a used car.  This one is a Toy.  Probably daily drive it in the summer, cuz its fun, but I'll put it away in the winter.  20170219_134607.jpg

I've been working on the Broadmoor Resto-mod a little here and a little there.  I decided to get serious about it now, due to the fact that spring is getting close!  

Went through the transmission and repaired / replaced everything.  I'm putting a 5010 tranny in a 65 Broadmoor.  I was never really happy with the two speed, low was too slow, and high was too fast.  The three speed should fix that.  If not, I also have a Hi-Lo I can put on her.  Don't really have any pictures of the process though, but I do have one with it all back together and freshly painted.20170309_205915.jpg

Frame is next.  You'll notice the Tranny is black...It was orange from the factory.  I really like the paint scheme on the Late model sovereigns, so I'm copying that.  I stripped the frame down to its components last night.  Tonight is my anniversary, so won't get anything done, but tomorrow, I home to get it cleaned up and get some primer on.  

20170309_205858.jpg

Edited by Mike_H
  • Like 3

What they said, glad all's OK.

reminds me of last winter when I did my B 207, should be a sharp rig.

You gonna blast it ?

Edited by 720nut
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chris727 said:

Using the original sideplates that was pretty much a "drop-in" install?

So far, it has been.  We'll see as I get further in, but everything I've looked at (and I've been staring at them a while) says they should interchange nicely.  I've noticed that the axles are longer on the 5010, so I'll have to redrill my wheel mounting flange holes.  Not actually a bad thing, just the ones that were on there were pretty egg shaped, so I welded em up already.  Also will get more support.  

Lloyd,

All the small pieces that fit in my blast cabinet are getting blasted.  I don't know if I'm going to sandblast the frame or not.  I have the equipment, and have been doing everything else, but its really in good shape, so I might just scuff it up and re-shoot.  The body work will for sure be sanded...Don't want to warp anything.  

• Like 2

I love the Rubicon. Jeeps are so much fun. I enjoyed doing the "wave" during my time owning one. Kind of a neat thing between owners.

Edited by jimmystractor
  • Like 2

Serious stuff

Never been a big jeep fan but have become one past 2 yrs. Like their look.

Nice job on the tractor ....can't wait to see the outcome .

Thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

Good to hear of the positive news.  And I personally think the 36" decks on the Broadmoors gave the best cut of almost any of the Simplicities, other than maybe the 30" on the Yeoman Serfs.  It will be fun to watch it come together.

• Like 1

I would probably just scuff the paint good and be sure it's clean on the frame, that paint has stuck this long ! Are you painting the frame black too then? If so I look forward to seeing it together, in my mind it will be a good look. I am planning on doing that on a 916 I have. 

• Like 1

Yeah It will get a black frame, dash tower, etc.  Hope to have this kinda vibe to it when I'm done.  Even going to go with a silver wheel (though not the Simplicity silver, something a little darker).  I'm going to use the old school decals though

20170203_172002.jpg

Brett, this guy has the 32" deck.  Gives an AWESOME cut, which is why I wanna get her going again.  Got a 12 HP engine to run her, and a NOS mulching kit.  I also have a spare set of blades that I'm going to try to fashion into a set of gator blades to assist in the mulching dept.  I'm so tired of blowing clippings around.  My yard is too small and tight for a vac cart.   Its almost too small for the 48" deck on my Sovereign, but I make do cuz its a WHOLE lot better than push mowing

Edited by Mike_H
  • Like 2

Well, No primer, but I do have the frame cleaned up.  I also disassembled all of the steering components, and got them blasted.  I'm so happy this is was a nice tractor to begin with.  Things are just coming apart without fighting them.  The real let down was that some of it was Simplicity orange and some of it was Allis Orange.  It really messed with my OCD personality.  PLUS I had to do some welding and modifying (very subtle) to fit the 12 horse engine in.  No pics today.  I'll get some posted soon.

• Like 1

Gee, what does Simplicity Orange and Deutz Green do for your OCD then? 66658c60e3fe1beb_10-03-15Both.jpg.02399c397d863d231a4d08647e699a44.jpg
I'm kinda that way, but the panels were so doggone cheap, and I'm thinking of painting this one Allis Orange anyway. IF I do anything more to it, that is. 

I think at that point I would just do the panels DA green and call it a day....but that's just me. 

That would bug the crap outta me, Hick!  I honestly don't think they would have made it on the tractor without a shot of Spring Green

• Like 1

Glad all OK.

My brother has 2008 Sahara with 19k( stick shift) , he hardly ever drives it , with the storm yesterday , I was amazed what that Jeep can do , we went thru two feet of snow with ease .

• Like 1

Been picking away at the parts, getting them cleaned up for paint.  All the steering parts except the spindles are blasted.  Also got the rockshaft, main drive pulley, and PTO clutch setup done.  

20170316_211627.jpg

20170316_211620.jpg

Edited by Mike_H
  • Like 2

Mike just to let you know, Lowes has the material for foot rests, I cut and glued on my B 207 and I don't believe you can tell difference between it and original

Lloyd,  I was able to get my original Footrests off without damaging them.  Little bit of heat softened them up and I used the wrenches from my die grinder to first slide underneath them to release any of the glues that was left, then slide them off.  

• 3 weeks later...

Been picking away at the parts as I have time in the evenings.   Today, I took advantage of the low humidity and relatively warm temps to prime all my sandblasted parts.

20170402_120241.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...