Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JonetteP

Making a power lift

Dutch
Used one off a Ford truck (F-750) and it worked great. Couldn't find an OEM cylinder, so I fabricated a mounting bar under the running boards of my 7012, and modified the cross shaft. Wanted more than a single valve, so mounted them externally.

Dutch
Yes, but it would probably be too slow to suit me. If I were to go to the expense of a loader, I'd do it right, even if it cost a few hundred more. I think I'd go for at least an 11 gpm pump (maybe a 2 stage). If I couldn't power it off an engine pulley, I'd use a Lovejoy coupling. I'd use quick connect fittings so I could "tap" power for other uses (like a log splitter). If the loader were on a dedicated tractor, the loader frame could double as a reservoir. Plan for possible other future hydraulic uses to determine if a closed or open circuit is best.

StinKy
I have a hydraulic motor from a large parts finishing tumbler and have been told a motor can be used as a pump too. It's fairly small (4 1/2" long X 5 1/4" dia.) with a 1/2" shaft. Will be easy to fit it into a tractor if it can be used to pump. Dont know what volume it's capable of but if it ran that big tumbler it ought to have enough "poop" for small tractor implements. Dick

68_Mag
Hi. I'm designing and considering the same thing. I plan to run a power steering pump off one of my PTO pulleys, and use it to power a home-built 3 point hitch, and then use another one to provide auxillary outlets. Do the pumps provide both up and down pressure?

Dutch
Neal, Thought you may be interested in some photos since you’re thinking about a PS pump. When I got my first Simplicity (2-3 years ago), I knew NOTHING about garden tractors, and didn’t have any attachments. So I “rigged” a hydro lift from a bunch of surplus parts. I intended to adapt whatever attachments I could find (non-Simplicity). Then I found Simple tractors! Bought a Sovereign with factory hydro lift, and acquired a bunch of Simplicity attachments. Discovered I preferred a manual lift for ground engagement work. Removed my “surplus” parts and put the tractor back to original. Anyways, because I was only experimenting with the hydro-lift, everything I built were only crude prototypes. Started by mounting a PS pump from a Ford F-750 (it’s a “real” pump with large reservoir and cooler). Used a 2 bank valve (1 float), and made an external mounting pad. Used 2 cylinders (1 front & center, the other rear). For the front & center, I removed the factory shaft that an electric lift would normally attach to, and made a pair of brackets that fit in the same frame holes. Then I found a pump with remote reservoir. Figured that would make a neater installation, but I abandoned the project. Finally found a rough 7000 series with a bad engine, so I may start playing with this stuff again. http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/hyd-seq.jpg

Dutch
Lance, A pump only provides pressure. What happens next is up to you. For down pressure you need a double acting cylinder and a 2-way valve. If you also want "float", that's different valve. If you want hydraulic pressure at all times, make sure the PTO is "live". Also, match your PTO speed to the pump you use.