Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

First Bargain of the year

mikeman

I know at times alot of generators do have the tapered shafts. 

Regardless,  good price no doubt! 

Do any of you know of a successful adaptation of tapered shaft to one more useful for our tractors?  Maybe turn it down and add a bushing?  Tapered pulley?

1 hour ago, PGL said:

Do any of you know of a successful adaptation of tapered shaft to one more useful for our tractors?  Maybe turn it down and add a bushing?  Tapered pulley?

I would assume crank could be turned to accept a clutch or simple pulley, would personally have to see one to determine.

anything with the bevel gear case really shouldn't matter as most have a cone clutch

Might consider one for in my 912, if can be bought for this kind of price

17 hours ago, PGL said:

I would think that a replacement crankshaft would still make the package a bargain.

Only on PowrMax's, Sunstars and newer equipment is the drive side (side with tapered shaft) of the motor used.    Unless you need a mechanical front clutch on an older Sovereign, everything is driven from the flywheel side of the motor.  An adapter will need to be fab'ed but no modifications are needed to the crank.

4 hours ago, CarlH said:

Only on PowrMax's, Sunstars and newer equipment is the drive side (side with tapered shaft) of the motor used.    Unless you need a mechanical front clutch on an older Sovereign, everything is driven from the flywheel side of the motor.  An adapter will need to be fab'ed but no modifications are needed to the crank.

What he said.sm01

Maybe 7117h repower with propane?dOd

Edited by mikeman

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2017 at 7:46 AM, CarlH said:

Carl, did I read this wrong? Looks like your saying 700's through the 3200 series don't use the drive/crank shaft for anything...Weed Cutter, Snow Blower, Sweepster, FEL just to name a few, use the "Front PTO" or crank shaft.

In any event, if you wish to use the tapered shaft Mike, a machinist can make you a keyed inner tapered sleeve that will bolt onto existing shaft to mimic the original 1"x3.5" Front PTO. Love those Vanguard engines. If it was here, I would leave it propane powered, adjust the RPM's up to 3,000 and use it! Propane is so much cleaner and easier on these engines than Gasahol is. Excellent buy at just $50.00!

Zippo.,

I was talking about the 7000/7100 series and later Sovereigns that run mainly off the mid PTO.  Sorry for any confusion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CarlH said:

Zippo.,

I was talking about the 7000/7100 series and later Sovereigns that run mainly off the mid PTO.  Sorry for any confusion.

dOd Ah, gotcha! With the mix of tractor generations and collectors, I lean towards the ancient ones, which is why  was a little "corn-fuzed" lol

• Like 1