Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3 belt blower and a blizzard

bassmanben

Greetings from a longtime lurker,

I was just assessing the recent blizzard clean up and realized that no one really would care except for you guys. so thanks in advance.

When I snow started Tuesday morning I had about a foot of snow and hard wind. I headed to the garage and fired up my 64 landlord and the 3 belt blower and out I went. Wind was blowing so as long as I sent snow downwind I was good. I went through a few stones from the gravel drive but no problem. The first pass down the center was quite slow and I was glad to have gotten out when I did. Ooops forgot to refill before I headed down an had to walk up for more gas. (700' drive 10% grade. Later passes I was taking smaller slices. I burned through 4 tanks of gas. I broke a belt was able to easily replace it, luckily I had a spare. I did my cleanup with my John Deere 140 H3 with the 54" 4 way plow.  

After using the old antiquated set up I thought a review and advice would spur some feedback.

The 3 Belt blower is pretty wild, It seems complex but is actually very strong, adjustable, and easy to maintain. I have two and took the best parts from each. The gravel does a real number on the housing nothing that couldn't be welded yet.The fatal flaw with it is that you need to get off the seat to engage and disengage the belts. Inherently unsafe not to mention the exposed belt. (no I won't let my kids use it) 

My biggest issue however lies with the tractor 64 Simplicity Landlord. While I know that we all love these things I have found a flaw. 

When the snow (from the Blizzard) falls on the hood over the engine (Briggs 23D) it melts. The melting water then drips down onto the carburetor and freezes. The 23D has an updraft card so the intake is on top. The intake is cold because of the cold air being sucked in and maybe because it has suction. But anyway the water freezes and ices the throttle lever with the idle screw locking it in place usually wide open.

So after making a pass when I stop running snow through the blower the engine will really wind up. Kind of scary. I turn the key of but some times it will still run, even scarier. I will have to free up the throttle and melt the ice it will run until more water drips off the hood and freezes again. It' not as much a problem when it is not snowing but blizzards are another. 

This is quite an issue and kind of surprised that such an otherwise amazing tractor would have such an flaw.. It is kind of a safety issue for both me and the tractor. (exploding 23d) I can't be the first person to have similar issues some advice would be welcome .(Hmm a cover or maybe divert warm air)  If no solution I may have to get a 49 blower for my 140.

I'll try and get some pics up I know there welcome. Thanks

Ben

• Like 2

I was blowing snow with my 64 Wednesday.  when I got around to the back of my house the wind was blowing so hard it coverd snow all over tractor and myself engine started cutting out was able to get back to garage.I need one of these to.Bet a good tin knocker could Repro them fast.

On my HB212, besides the heat shield to heat the carb, I hung a heavy canvas like material over the governor linkages to prevent the linkages from freezing up.  I kinda stretched it from the carb to the front grill with small wire hooks.   Never had a problem after that. 

That was waaaay back before this web site.

In the early days I had that salt shaker muffler and the factory shield that I had did not work on that muffler.  So I made one out of aluminum sheet.   Easy to bend, does not rust, and made it a little bigger to enclose the carb more than the factory unit.

My B112 had this problem two winters back.  It was apparently revving too high though not to the point I noticed it until I started getting noise from the starter generator and saw the end cap beginning to glow.  It might have been unrelated to the throttle and governor freezing up or may have been just enough to push it over the edge but it melted the end cap off the generator.

I have been making plans to make heat shields for my tractors but they have different types of exhaust on them so one design will not work for all my different flavors. :)