Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

ac 400 series wiring diagram

richp

Ken, If you have a Briggs engine I've found that the Briggs manuals have very good wiring diagrams for their engines. The same may be true for the other engines brands also. There really isn't much else to the wiring on the tractors except the lights and they should be wired off the correct terminal of the regulator. Engine manuals are easy to find at the any shop the sells or services that brand of engine. Tractor manuals are harder to come by. I have an AC B series manual but if I'm working on the engine or wiring I like the briggs manual better. Tim

Hi again from what i under stand i nead a voltage regulator for this garden tractor.
Its a ac400 series with a kolar engine.
But i cant seem to find one .If any one can help me out here .Or what i cant use to bypass it and make it still charge the battery.
get back to me as soon as posable .Thanks ...ken

Im looking for the wiring diagram for a ac400 garden tractor
some one messed up the wiring on my tractor .So if anyone can help me id appreciate it very much
thanks.

Ken tell me a little about the kohler ,what model what HP. you have a standard auto coil on that motor? I have a couple Kohler engins also give me the seriel # and spec# I will look it up and try to get a delco Remy part #.

Your regulator should be a Kohler part. Depending on the engine it may be mounted on the fan housing, or may be on fire wall behind the engine depending on the spec # of the engine. There will be a cable coming from inside the flywheel to a plug that goes on the regulator. The regulator will have 3 flat terminals in it. One the center one if they are all in line will come from the battery when the switch is on. The other two are from the alternator inside the flywheel. These two will have nothing on unless the engine is running. With the engine running wide open they should have at least 24 volts AC. Caution use AC range on your voltmeter. If 24vac is there your problem is either the regulator or wiring. If you need a tractor wiring diagram, e-mail me an address or a fax# and I'll try to help you out. In this regulator there is a diode bridge that changes the AC to DC and then a series transistor regulator that regulates the DC output. Hope this helps. Good luck,
Al

Try the INTEREC "Small Tractor Service Manual" You will need an older edition. You can ususally find these at a fair sized public library.

If you can find one old enough, it will have a wiring diagram for your tractor. You can also check the original specs to determine if you still have the original model engine.

I agree with Al in regards to what he said about the hook up but,last time I talked to anyone about a kohler voltage reg they said kohler was very proud of them apparently because they wanted 200 bucks for it. I took my old one in and had them match it up and I am now the proud owner of a delco Remy V.R. for 45 bucks . I know you don't have one to match up but I also know you don't need to throw yourself on the knife and buy a Kohler. I have a Kohler 10 HP and 12HP they use the same V.R. and they have the 3 flat connectors on one side and a ground connector on the back and there is a grounding strap that goes to one of the srews that holdes it to the fire wall. Hope this helps I am new to working on electrical systems but what I am saying I have learned and used and is working on my tractor right now. My single cylinder engine service manual only shows one V.R. for engine model # K91,K141,K161,K181,K241,K301,K321,K341. Sorry for running on and on but like I say this is new to me and I don't know it well enough to tell you only part. Hope this helps and A l you did a much better job of explaining how it hooks up I have to look at the book every time.

The first is an "older" Delco-Remey external style regulator used with the belt driven Delco-Remey starter/generator. As far as Simp/AC is concerned this style (which a lot of you know) was used exclusively on B&S engines - not Kohler.

The second style regulator is the engine OEM type which AC/Kohler used from the start and Simp/B&S later swithed to in 1979-80 with the 7100 series.

The systems are not interchangeable.

Al is correct.

Thanks Al. :)

I will re-post this info under a new subject: "Different Charging Systems" for public notice and hopefully clarification.

Sorry ,Iguess this is what comes from thinking you know what you are doing .I have 2 case tractors and 1 ac HB-212 that I have not had very long the Kohlers on Case have V.R. and Delco Remy starter/generator did not realize there were so many ways to skin a cat sorry for bad info. Better luck nxt time Mark Bennett