Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
SimpleMan

ref:message 6529 Aftermarket loaders for B-series

SimpleMan
Kent, Took me a couple hours but I got pictures taken and a page posted with them w/discriptions. Please check them out and be sure to let me know if the link does't work. Just learning html and I can't type too fast either. That why it took me so long.[A href='http://spider.smig.net/users/bfrondal/B1_loader.html']http://spider.smig.net/users/bfrondal/B1_loader.html[/a]

murph
Wow, looks like alot of work went into that project. That really turned out nice. Good Job.

Kent
Bruce, Those are some great detailed pictures. Looks like you took the "safe route" with all the reinforcement of the bevel gear box area... Looks like a LOT of work... Thanks so much! Kent

tmerideth
Some day I hope to get it all painted so it looks a little better. I also forgot to mention that I built the mounting so that I could still put a mower deck on it. However I use another tractor for mowing, so I can go ahead with putting the pump under the tractor. (If I get the time!)

Roy
Bruce, Nice looking job! I especially like the 16 hp in a B-1. I have e-mailed you separately with questions on the engine installation. Roy

JonetteP
Hi Bruce, how much wieght is on the back?

Jeffreyb
Weight on the back = 420 lbs. in the picture. For some reason I have an extra one on there(20 lbs). I don't think the extra 20 makes much difference. I haven't really tried it with any less so I'm not sure how well it would work with less weight. I have welded the axle solid for more push. Have destroyed the differential and have made my own wheel hubs. They are made from weldable hub and sprockets. I haven't used it much after getting hubs made. Had to grind keyway into the right side of the axle for that hub. We'll have to see how they hold up.

Dutch
Hi Kent, My Dads B-10 had many hours on it with the loader. Soon after the loader was removed, the frame cracked. It appeared to be a fatigue crack where the thinner frame metal meets the thick plate for the transfer case. I have seen this on one other b-series besides my dads. He had all the brackets mounted with the loader. As far as the bearings, they hold up fine, just need packing more often. The front spindle assembly on this tractor broke soon after it had the loader removed. Again, it looked like a fatigue break. The tractor was never abused, except if you want to view putting a loader on it as abuse. I figure that the break was either from a poor metal or probably from the loader. It broke right at the point where the spindle part enters the lower bearing for the front axle. It did not break at the spindle part near the wheel. My 2 cents about loaders on these tractors is: "The tractor is too small" If you want a loader to use, I would definitely go with a larger tractor. Although, for show or very light work, they do look sharp. Dan

Dutch
Dan, You mean like this "What do these guys expect from me? I'm only one mule. Why doesn't somebody tell them about a B-10 with a 10 horse Briggs?" Or this "Hooray! It took twenty of us but we broke the frame."

Dutch
Talk about "stress cracks".........

dlcentral
Ebay this Dec. had a nice Cub lowboy and a beautiful 1000 lb loader for around 3500 in north NJ by me here Now that machine is more what you needed.

Kent
A followup question regarding loaders and these small tractors. Has anyone experienced problems with the front spindles or bearings due to the additional load and stress? I noticed on the PF Engineering site that he describes how to convert a Cub Cadet to 1" spindles... how do the smaller original Simplicity spindles and bearings hold up?

CleanBee
Thanks Herb, I havent laughed that hard in quite a while. The donkey/mule picture is perfect. To add to it, I just got done reading this in an email. An Enron Trader moved to Texas and bought a donkey from an old > farmer for $100. The farmer agreed to deliver the donkey the next day. > The next day, the farmer drove up and said, "Sorry, but I have some > bad news. > The donkey died." > "Well, then, just give me my money back." > "Can't do that. I went and spent it already." > "OK, then. Just unload the donkey." > "What ya gonna do with him?" > "I'm going to raffle him off." > "You can't raffle off a dead donkey!" > "Sure I can. Watch me. I just won't tell anybody he's dead." > A month later the farmer met up with the Enron trader and asked, > "What happened with that dead donkey?" > "I raffled him off. I sold 500 tickets > at two dollars apiece and made a profit of $898." > "Didn't anyone complain?" > "Just the guy who won. So I gave him his two dollars back."