Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New to the World of PowrMax

Gaucho

Hey everybody, just joined the site the other day so here is my first post, although I've visited quite a few times before. Lots of great information. I bought this PowrMax 4041 last fall because I have quite a few projects in mind around my property that while yes, they can be completed with a shovel and a trailer, I figured this would be a better option. And rather than buy new, I thought I'd find a reasonably priced used tractor. That's a whole other story in itself. When I bought it it wasn't in the best running condition. It ran, but had quite a few major (maybe minor, I'm too new at this to know) problems. And certainly minor ones. So we put in new plugs, new electronic fuel pump, carb adjustment as well as a throttle cable adjustment. It seems that the throttle was reversed to where it would run only in the choke position and stall without it. Then came the major stuff. The charging system was shot, so it needed a new stator and regulator. The ignition wiring (well, most of the wiring) was bad. Sometimes it would start and sometimes not.  Got all that taken care of and it runs great now. As a bonus, the lights work now, as well as the indicator light and the hours meter. There of course is more to do, like changing a leaky front hydraulic cylinder, but the main thing was that I wanted to get it to where it would start and run. So there it is. And now of course comes the usual (perhaps rhetorical) questions. Do I restore this thing? Try to find all the implements? Admit that I'm insane and buy another one? Anyway, sorry to be so long-winded. Happy tractoring. 

IMG_20160924_144808874_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160930_115112528.jpg

IMG_20170201_162139982_HDR.jpg

Welcome to the forum - a great place to learn a lot = not from me tho, as I don't know much!    LOL!

You have already taken care of some major things that can go wrong with these tractors.

I bought a well used AC 720 with loader during the winter, and am looking forward to using it.  Looks a little rougher than yours, tho.

Your unit sure looks nice, and love those rear tires!

Thanks a bunch. It has been a learning process, no doubt! And more to come I'm sure. Yeah, I love the big ag tires. It also came with a pair of loaded turf tires that look brand new. I'm like you, can't wait for this weather to break so I can start using it.

Hey CJ first welcome to the club. You asked about restoring, I believe you've got a darn nice tractor to start with, personally I would leave it original.

You've apparently been bitten by the bug as one tractors just not enough.  Very addictive and no known treatment.

Some implements are easy to find others not so easy, just depends on what you intend to do in the future.

I agree with several others before; That's in fantastic condition for its age. I'd wash and wax it if you want it to look as nice as it can and then put it to work. (the wax may make the mud rinse off easier. sm03) Dave

P.S. Welcome to the Funny Farm.

Edited by dhoadley

Welcome!  Looks like you started the addiction right at the top of the heap.  Going to be hard to top that one!  I agree, it's a real nice looking machine, and I wouldn't see the need to do anything cosmetically.  If you have an interest in adding implements, I would watch casually and get comfortable with the asking prices, and what folks here wind up paying for the items they find.  You will soon know what's a bargain and what is not.  It's easier to justify the mechanical repairs (seems you enjoy doing so, like many of us here), if the purchase price gets you in low to begin with.  As you play with the new tools, it will become apparent what should stay and what should go.  It's a fun hobby, and that is a very useful machine.

Thanks everybody for the kind words. These older tractors have the looks and personality that are much cooler than modern tractors. And I've been getting a huge education in the mechanical workings as well. The Onan CCKB is a finicky engine, but after going through it top to bottom, it's running pretty strong now. It's definitely an addictive hobby that I didn't even know I was getting into at the time! And I think most of you are right--since this is going to be my workhorse for the foreseeable future I probably will just keep plugging away on the mechanical things and keep my eyes out for implements. One thing is that it doesn't have the PTO drive shaft. I've been keeping a look out for that. Saw one on Ebay but it looked pretty rough. This seems to be a great resource though for finding whatever it is your looking for. 

Welcome, don't be afraid to ask questions, their is some of us young and old still learning about these machine. Some times it takes awhile but some one will answer abut all questions. 

Edited by tadams

Another great place to find things you need is this site's "Classified" section; both For Sale & Wanted.  If you need something, throw up a Wanted ad. Many of these guys have piles of parts they'd be willing to pass along.

Welcome Gaucho, see you are already playing in the dirt with that loader.  Maybe that will qualify you for the Tractor of the Month contest for turning dirt in your garden.