Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

kohler kt17-19 bench test

gravey72

I have an engine out of a tractor that I would like to start to make sure it is up to snuff. The negative lead is still attached to the engine. If I hook up the negative to a battery and a fuel source to the pump can I simply take 12v to the starter to get it started or is it more involved? Thanks

The stock KT17/19 have battery ignition, so as Lloyd stated, you also have to supply +12v to the ignition coil.

(And bolt or clamp the engine down)

• Like 1

As stated above you will need to have a good 12v battery with the ground "-" connected to the engine.  Connect the "+" of the coil to the "+" of the battery with a quick way to pull the wire off (shut off).   Connect a heavy cable (like a jumper cable) to the starter post and hand touch the other end to the positive "+" of the battery to spin the starter.

You will need a fuel source to the carb.  connect a nurse bottle to the fuel pump.   It will start quicker if this fuel line and bottle is above the fuel pump.

Like it has already been said clamp the engine to the bench! 

Then using 3 + hands touch the  one jumper cable to  the battery while the second is holding the throttle open and the third hand on the choke lever.  sm01

Ok thank you both for the help, now I just need a gorilla to lift it!

Nah.  Real men cradle it under one arm, and wrap a starter rope around the flywheel and pull with the other hand.  You only need to put it down when it gets a bit too hot.  Those who aren't man enough and are wimpy in the arm department have to use two arms and pull the starter rope with their teeth.  Lightweights..................&:)

• Like 4