Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
ShaunE

Ross/Parker Hydraguide Power Steering

ShaunE

Just received the parts to rebuild a rotary valve power steering unit.  If the topic exists, I apologize.

Link to the Hydraguide HGF Series Service Procedure Manual 2753

http://www.parker.com/literature/Hydraulic Pump & Motor/2753 HGF service.pdf

Parker Seal Kit # - SK000097 - $131.42 - OUCH!!!

John Deere Seal Kit # - AM107078 - $87.58 - Does not include steering column bushings.

John Deere Bushing/Bearing Kit # - AM107081 - $10.01 - Only needed if sloppy.

Simplicity Seal Kit # - 1679048 - $93.45 - Includes steering column bushings.

• Like 3

ShaunE

John,

I have read your PS conversions until my eyes have bled.  I've talked with D-17_Dave over the phone for hours.  This was definitely going to be the way I went.  I have the Ark 700 loader so without cutting the subframe, I'm going to potentially look for a different cylinder setup.  I'm talking with a guy currently in north central WI who has done this conversion as well as the Vega & the other GM PS steering box.  He is currently working on a PS that uses the Hydraguide rotary valve in conjunction with a push/pull cylinder that replaces the tie-rod.  I picked up the rotary valve & cylinder a couple weeks ago for this specifically but I'm not ready to notch my loader frame for the cylinder.  

Lloyd, I talked to MNOONAN as well & he put me in touch with the guy that has done about every PS conversion possible on these powermax tractors.  

There is such a thing as too much research.  

Thanks for the appreciation.  I owe that to you both for how much I've learned from reading your past posts.

• Like 1

midnightpumpkin
4 hours ago, ShaunE said:

" He is currently working on a PS that uses the Hydraguide rotary valve in conjunction with a push/pull cylinder that replaces the tie-rod.  I picked up the rotary valve & cylinder a couple weeks ago for this specifically but I'm not ready to notch my loader frame for the cylinder. "

I have given a push/pull cylinder arrangement a lot of thought and have not come up with a design. It would be the way to go. The Sunstar cylinder does not have quite enough throw to go full lock to lock. I can live with this, but I am always looking for a better way.

I do not have a clearance problem with my ARK 600 loader, I understand the issue with the ARK 700.

Keep us posted if you come up with a push/pull steering cylinder design.

John U

Kent

Most new economy cars today use electrical power steering assist, to avoid the power (and fuel consumption) loss of driving the hydraulic steering pump. 

Electrical power steering is also common on UTVs (side-by-side ATVs) as either standard or optional equipment. It is also available as aftermarket kits such as this: 

https://www.superatv.com/yamaha-rhino-power-steering-kit?gclid=CJn5k77ngNMCFcW3wAodl1IL4w

ShaunE

That looks to another great option.  

I have been fortunate not to have charging problems with the Onan in mine as of yet.  But I have noticed when both electric clutches are operating an the engine is not at full throttle, I do notice a draw on the ammeter.  I'm wondering if this would be more concerning with an electric PS unit.

This is what is great.  The longer I wait, the more options there are.