Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC B110 bevel gear box seals?

Yardfarmer

First, I'm new to the site, and It's nice to be here :

I'm restoring my AC B110 and I'm having difficulty finding seals for the bevel gear box.  I was wondering if someone still makes seal for this this gearbox, or if there is a suitable substitute.

Thank you for your assistance.

Also, is there a way to determine the manufacture date from the serial number.?

The tractor's serial #061669

From what I have read from the advanced contributors here, AC didn't keep track of serial numbers and manufacturer dates - the way to date is by briggs and stratton engine code number.  Briggs uses Model Number - type number - engine code.  The engine code is the key to manufacture date.  The first 2 digits of the engine code is the year, the next 2 are month, the next 2 are day of month and additional numbers are assembly line/factory.  engine code of 690315 would mean 1969, March 15.

Here's a couple of posts about BGB rebuilding, one with a reference to seal part numbers:

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/52158-bgb-rebuild-with-aftermarket-bearings-and-seals/#comment-52161

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/46509-bevel-gear-box-rebuild/#comment-46512

These are both latter BGBs with the larger input shaft.  I think the B-110 (stock) has a smaller input shaft.  I think seal parts are still available from Simplicity.