Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
jimmystractor

Sovereign command muffler options?

jimmystractor

I need a muffler for my sovereign command 18.  There are some on eBay that look like aftermarket but It looks like the exhaust comes out the side of those mufflers. Does anyone have experience with one of these? I technically have a muffler for mine. The problem is it is just in rough shape. 

Bill725

The OEM muffler is Simplicity P/N 1686656SM and "COSTS $548!" The ones you see on eBay with side outlets are Kohler mufflers. I have seen Sovereigns with these on them and the hood needs to be cut out for the outlet. IMHO not a viable option. Kohler also has a Command muffler with outlet pointing down, P/N 24068147S and sells for $125. According to the picture in the Kohler Accessories book, the outlet does not point directly downward. You may be able to cut the outlet short and clamp the Sovereign elbow on it. I have also seen where people have used (2) B&S pepperpot mufflers and pointed them down.

PhanDad

See this post for using the bottom outlet Kohler muffler Bill posted about above (and ESPECIALLY the WARNING):

https://simpletractors.com/forums/topic/51720-kohler-muffler-modifications-for-sovereign-updated/

And a pic of a hacked hood to accommodate a side outlet Kohler muffler:

IMG_4502.thumb.jpg.9f7fe3757aeb317df6d22c6420cca97d.jpg

I'd also think there would be issues with front head light interference with this muffler. 

CarlH

Considerably cheaper is the Kohler PN 24 068 11.  The outlet exits from the bottom of the muffler at the same location as the Simplicity muffler.  You will have to fab or modify the exhaust pipe to fit  because the angle is a little different..

Edited by CarlH
type size