Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Well I did it now

simplewrench

I know a few of my fellow tractor enthusiasts have done it too. I have a 7119 that I rescently put a craftsman front scoop on. I modified the lift set up and took it to my brothers to use his torch to adjust the angle of the lift rod to clear the hood. Being just a quarter mile down the road no need to strap it down on the trailer right? Well after it rolled of the trailer and rolled over on the highway resting on its side along the road someone did at least stop eventually to help me roll it back on the wheels so I could reload it then strap it down and get it home. 

It dented the hood bent the seat pan twisted the seat and broke the steering wheel but it could have been much worse. Over all I was pretty lucky. So don't expect your hydro to not roll when your hauling it even a short distance. 

• Like 2

Haven't done that but boy can I think of some other really dumb things I've done, not even sure where to begin... Thanks for sharing the story which is not always easy to do. I'm sure it will make someone think twice weather its a tractor or something else on a trailer

• Like 2

I hooked a popup camper to the back of our minivan w/o latching it to the ball just to move it around. Our drive had an incline but not to worry, I'd done it several times. Yep, hitch popped off the ball and came into the rear hatch. $1500 mistake. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, gwiseman said:

I hooked a popup camper to the back of our minivan w/o latching it to the ball just to move it around. Our drive had an incline but not to worry, I'd done it several times. Yep, hitch popped off the ball and came into the rear hatch. $1500 mistake. 

Tailgate $350 not quite as bad

• Like 1

My brother hauled my Allis 718H with the lawn roller to our church, he had it unstrapped for only a couple mile trip.  When he got there the tractor had rolled forward and the front tires rolled over the front of the trailer so the axle was on the hitch.  I will never haul it like he did again.

• Like 1

Mine wasn't damaging but more funny then anything else:

Circa 2011

This started last June when my son noted that he was having a problem doing some ditch cutting with my Sunstar. The turfs weren't giving him any grip. About a week later, Chuckdog (My wife's cousins son in law) stops over for some parts and has a set of ag tires that he has no use for and wants to know if I want them. I said my son was looking for some and he drops them off. A pair of what you see on the right. I lent my son another pair with the understanding that I get them back.  Well then I needed 12" rims with 8-1/4 rim width and the hunt was on. Last October Memphis buys a garden tractor that has tires with the correct rims. He said he can part with them and I buy them . I load them on my trailer standing up. Comes time to go and I load my tractor on the trailer, it has a flip down ramp. As I load my tractor, the trailer (it's hitched) tilts to the rear and one of my tires takes off down the ramp and bounds thru the brush. I lock the tractor so it won't move and try to find out where the tire went an zoom the next tire scoots by me thru the brush and this time I hear a splash. I find an opening in the brush and lo and behold if there isn't a creek about six foot below the parking level and the tires are floating away. Now I am in a real panic. By the time I get my shoes and sock off and down to creek level the tires already had floated 15-20 ft downstream from where the went it. I had no choice to wade out and get them. Well two things were in my favor, 6-8 " of water and a brush pile snagged the tires so I could get at them. I got them and loaded them went home wet feet and all.

• Like 4

Yeah like I say it could have been worse and at least it was my own equipment. A buddy was telling me about another guy that was returning a borrowed skid loader and lost it had a bunch of repairs to pay for. 

• Like 1

I was in a car with a buddy and we tipped his brand new 18ft pontoon boat onto it's side and into the road while towing it home from the lake.

I was laughing and embarrassed at the same time. I was not driving or in charge of hooking up the boat, thank God. 

It's not easy tipping a pontoon  boat in the middle of a busy road back onto the trailer even with 4 guys,

• Like 1

My dad bounced my 7116 off the front of his trailer sides taking it to his house less than a mile away.  Pushed the grill in just a touch and the hood is fine, but his trailer sides haven't quit squeaking since!  PM sent regarding some replacement parts I have laying around.  

Simplewrench:

Thanks for sharing this. I know it sucks but by sharing this, you probably saved a couple of tractors falling off of trailers. Now I know...even a short distance...strap it down.

Even the parking brakes are not enough to hold most tractors in place... It always amazes me how much a 4 to 600lb tractor can and does walk around on a trailer if not secured properly. 

Good lesson to anyone who trailers tractors.

I have been told by a Simplicity dealer, that he has repaired only 2 Sunstrand hydros and both fell off trailers going down the road.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GardenTrACtorguy said:

My brother hauled my Allis 718H with the lawn roller to our church, he had it unstrapped for only a couple mile trip.  When he got there the tractor had rolled forward and the front tires rolled over the front of the trailer so the axle was on the hitch.  I will never haul it like he did again.

I did the same last year with a 917. That never rolls when I want it to! sm02 

Couple of trailer stories: 
I worked at a car dealership and one year our car trailer was stolen. Got a new one. One of the mechanics (Rob) had left his Jeep at Aron's place (another mechanic). He needed to get it from town to his house in the country. Aron & I helped. Hooked the new trailer onto my pickup and headed downtown. Went through a couple of those dippy intersections. Got to the Jeep, went to drive it up on the trailer. Trailer reared up; had come unhooked. Put it back on the ball, latched it, then noticed: New trailer has 2 1/16" ball, my hitch was a 2" like the old trailer! Aron had some jack stands, so we put them under the rear of the trailer and loaded the Jeep. I had a chain, and I wrapped that around the tongue & hitch in a way to (hopefully) hold things in place and still turn. Got the Jeep out in the country via several miles of gravel roads and several corners.  Got it unloaded and safely back to work.
And thanked my lucky stars the trailer hadn't popped off empty & in traffic on the way to Aron's place!!

Wife went to Ladies Bible Camp every year, we took the pop-up camper. I'd drop her off, set up the camper, and come home. Then go get her after camp was over. One year we hooked up, hooked the safety chains & wiring, headed down the bumpy, twisty path that goes along the edge of the lake. Camper was making a lot of noise and bumping around. Stopped to check, and I had forgotten to latch it down and was pulling it by the chains! 
Once again thanked my lucky stars; this time for not loosing it into the lake!