Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Followed me home this evening

bnolte

I said goodbye to a Cub 129 yesterday, and invested part of the proceeds into this 5116 as a new project to replace it and keep my Landlord DLX company.    Once we got fuel into her,  and a little ether, she cleared her throat and ran smooth and smoke free. Got to drive it around a little bit and the transmission seems okay, the mower deck is solid and the pulleys and spindles spin freely.  It is far from perfect, it has some steering and electrical issues, and a bad seat and right front tire. I let go a  worn-out Sunrunner a couple years ago that I could have gotten many if not most of the parts the 5116 needs. Oh well, hopefully a visit to the junkyard will yield some usable parts. 

5116md.jpg

5116.jpg

• Like 1

I have one of those and it's a joy to cut with. The cut is better than that of the Sovereign deck and the tractor is more maneuverable.  I'm hoping it runs good this summer. Right before I put it away, I experienced an issue with the drive that may have been caused by oil on the belt from a leaking crank gasket. That's been repaired now so we'll see. I'm hoping it's not the hydro as they aren't rebuildable. If I find that it is the hydro, I'll PM you about the parts you need.

• Like 1

I thought I was the only one who had the problem of junk mowers of various condition and old age jumping on my trailer r in the bed of the truck! An early 60s Swisher 3-wheeler keeps hollering at me when I drive by in the car at my parts store. what you got is in much better condition that the ones that follow me home.

Wednesday I visited my favorite junkyard, and in the garden tractor section I found a forlorn looking 4212. The sheet metal was a wreck , 3 tires were flat, and there wasn't a mower deck, but it had a decent seat and the tire that held air was a front tire, which was the one I needed. The junkyard with its skid steer, made quick work of getting it into my truck, but getting it out was interesting, since none of the 3 flat tires would hold air at all. I ended up dragging it out with my Landlord onto the ATV ramp I use to load things like this. I had the front end to the bottom of the ramp, then THUD. The straps securing the ramp to the tailgate snapped and it was out. The truck and the ramp were relatively undamaged, when I tried to pull the tractor off, the ramp acted like a skid. I ended up pounding pieces of rebar into my gravel driveway into the openings on the ramp, and dragged it off the rest of the way.

Once I got the front end up, I removed the good wheel, seat, and the drag link, which was in relatively good shape compared to the one on the 5116. I also considered removing the starter relay, but decided to get a new one at TSC.  The drag link that came on the 5116 was too long, and the ball and socket at the steering knuckle had been replaced by a bolt, and the link arm was too long. The one off the 4212 was too short, but I decided to cut it in half, and use a piece of 3/4" galvanized pipe as a sleeve to lengthen it, welding the ends when  I got the length right. 

There isn't much else I need off of the 4212 for this project, but I might see if the motor will run and the hydro unit works. Not sure if the transaxle survived the 3 foot fall to the driveway though. Hope to wrap things up this weekend, I will be taking on another rescue project next week, one with paws instead of tires. Her name is Amy. 

draglinkmod.jpg

parts4212.jpg

seat.jpg

freshpaint.jpg

Amy_at NCAS.jpg

On 4/11/2017 at 10:53 PM, tripleguy said:

I have one of those and it's a joy to cut with. The cut is better than that of the Sovereign deck and the tractor is more maneuverable.  I'm hoping it runs good this summer. Right before I put it away, I experienced an issue with the drive that may have been caused by oil on the belt from a leaking crank gasket. That's been repaired now so we'll see. I'm hoping it's not the hydro as they aren't rebuildable. If I find that it is the hydro, I'll PM you about the parts you need.

My 5116 has the 5 speed Peerless transaxle. Linkage is a little sloppy and ragged, but nothing a couple of nylon washers and a little white grease won't fix.  I did see a video on youtube about rebuilding the Peerless  Tuff-Torque hydro transaxles. The piston assemblies for the pump and motor are the critical thing, but you might get lucky. 

Been messing with the electrics on the 5116 some more, but it looks like she won't be leaving the garage until the end of next week. I knew it had some problems with the starter, so I pulled it off and found a mangled Bendix gear. Unfortunately I also pulled the commutator from the brush assembly end of the starter. With the prospect of wasting hours to try get the brushes on a questionable starter back in successfully, I decided to go onto Ebay and order a new starter for $40 or so. In the meantime, I can go over the mower deck and get it ready to go, mostly just blade sharpening, some grease, and a little paint here and there.

• Like 1