Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

No start, no linghts,no gauges?

oz1e

tractor run, put a grounded solenoid to help hard starting, changer ignition module made faster starting but no lights or gauges worked,engine started fine, found out wrong solenoid as put new non-grounded solenoid on still nothing? Now I have checked for continuity in, key switch, pto switch, safety switches, light bulbs all good. Now what? Changed solenoid back because no lights or gauges. Now a wits end, need help  tractor duetz 1920 model 1691392. Question/answers.

Do you have a copy of the service manual with wiring schematics? That should make it fairly simple to troubleshoot.

Check battery voltage to the ignition switch itself, and work your way back from there.

+1 on the circuit breaker.  Had a lot of trouble with that on my 714.

You said you tested continuity but have you tested for voltage at the solenoid?  The solenoid will always need a ground, the question is whether it is a wired ground or grounded through the chassis of the tractor.  

It sounds like when you had the engine running but no gauges or lights you had a ground to the engine block but not a solid connection to the chassis of the tractor.  I have found it to be a good idea to always have the engine grounded as well as the chassis rather than relying on that connection to pass through.