Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snowed and Broken rear end-help/instructions?

Bufford

Well, Minnesota had some snow, I went out with my new blower and it was a little too thick for it. I put my blade on it to push it I wound up pushing my tractor back into the garage. I hate shovels. Something I have never worked on before is the rear end. The axle tubes continue to spin, but the tires just dont. I am getting some funky noises out of the traction/control or differential-what ever it is called. How tough is it to go through, are parts available? Anyone have words of wisdom to someone about to tear into one of these? How do the axle tubes come out of the transmission/gear box? I have to replace the seals as they have leaked for some time. thanks for any advice/help. I think I am going to need it for the next few days....hope it dont snow much, I aint shoveling no more.

What kind of tractor are you talking about?Is it hydro or gear drive?Give a little information and you might get some replies. mowerman1193

Hi Steve. Check out the photos in my post #6235. My 64 Landlord has 6 roll pins holding the hub to the gear which fits into the differential. Yours may not be the same but it could be the problem. On my 3210-V (early 70's) the hub and gear are one piece. I have repaired the original two piece unit by simply drilling out the broken roll pins and replacing them but I wont use it on a tractor I intend to use for heavy pulling. If the cluster gears inside the diff. took a dump I'm sure one of our members or sponsors can get you replacements. As far as replaceing seals go I used a screwdriver with a 90 deg. bend close to the tip and pryed out the old seals. I couldnt justify splitting the case for two lousy seals. However you choose to do it make sure the outside of the axle is CLEAN and has no sharp burrs before you slide the new seal over the axle. The seal will leak if you cut the rubber lip. Dick

Thanks It is a Landlord 2110 3 speed gear transmission. Not hydro. I will look at the post and see what I can figure out. Probably into it in the next few days.

Hi Steve, if you find it is a stripped differential, we have a used one. This style of tractor does occationally spit the rear axle tube, so inspect it for cracks. If youdo find a problem with the differential, I would replace the keys to insure future opperation. the keys have a tendency to get worn and allow shifting. This rounds the keyways and allow more forward and backward travel were it is not desired.