Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New guy introduction

Snojetter

Hey guys, I thought I'd introduce myself here.  Just joined a week or so ago, but have been a lurker for quite some time.  I've been an Allis guy since I was old enough to climb up in the cab of my neighbor's 7000 and ride along as he planted, cultivated, and plowed.  The first Allis I owned was a 712S that I purchased off ebay.  A couple years later, I bought a little 6 acre parcel of land and proceeded to use that tractor for mowing.  I have some hilly terrain and I think that contributed to the blown motor I experienced the second season of mowing.  About this same time, this farmer neighbor from back home was retiring and his 917H was for sale - I snatched this up and it's been my primary machine for 6 or 8 years now.  It's repowered with an M18 - she's no beauty queen, but has been a rock solid machine.  The checked rear tires finally gave out on me so I just installed a pair of OTR Lawn Trac tires and love how they look.

Since that 917 purchase, I repaired and sold the 712.  I then picked up a Big Ten that had been retired after a hard life.  I got that running and promptly traded it for a B112.  The B112 was then sold and I used the proceeds to pick up a second 917 that needed a new motor.  I had a high mileage KT17 that ran fine which I put in this tractor and it's now my dedicated tiller tractor.

Then last summer, I found a 912H that was primarily used with a snowblower.  I had no real need for another tractor, but the price was too good to pass up.  I'm not sure if I'll keep this tractor long term, but I did use it to clear the driveway this winter on a couple of occasions.  This is about the cleanest and nicest looking original I've ever come across.  It's just cool to have in the shop.

Pictures of the three tractors I have are in the order in which I described them.

My wife and I have come to an agreement that we need one tractor for each member of the family.  (She's a good woman!).  So far there are three of us - as the family (hopefully) grows, so should the fleet of Allis garden tractors.

See ya'll on the web.

Kyle Sands <>< Brandon, MN

Allis 917 (2).jpg

Allis 917 (3).jpg

5-27-2014.jpg

5-27-2014 (2).jpg

Allis 912.jpg

Allis 912 3.jpg

Edited by Snojetter
  • Like 5

Hey Kyle, nice looking tractors you got there. Sounds like you got a real keeper for a wife too. Welcome buddy.

• Like 1

Kyle, welcome to the club, you do know there is no cure for this addiction other than more tractors

Glad to have you! Enjoy your stay and don't be shy. You're off to a fantastic start.

Welcome!  

This AC addiction seems real hard to kick - or so I've heard, so I've decided I won't even try!  LOL!

Thanks for the welcome, guys.  One thing I'm not short of is tractors when you count the other iron I have stored away.  Somehow over the years, I've come across some deals that have set me up with more projects than I have time.  No problem; they are under cover and out of the way until I can get to them.  My wife is very tolerant of my hobbies and even enjoys attending swap meets and the Orange Spectacular every year.  We're training our little daughter as well by bringing her along, too.

I have to admit that I wasn't as big a fan of the 900 series as compared to the looks of the 700 series.  But after experiencing the smooth running twins, I decided that's where I would concentrate.  Now that I've had the 917's for several years, the square look has grown on me.  I will say that if I found the right 700 chassis, I would like to stick a twin in there and make a custom 717...I already have the motor

21 hours ago, 720nut said:

Kyle, welcome to the club, you do know there is no cure for this addiction other than more tractors

I don't think "more tractors" constitutes a cure. O.o

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dhoadley said:

I don't think "more tractors" constitutes a cure. O.o

It's worked for me !!!!

I should clarify that while my wife supports my hobby, she tells me that everything has to be stored indoors.  In other words, the neighbors or passersby can't see anything sitting outside as they cruise past.  I guess she doesn't want any grove tractors on the property.  So long as there's room in the shop, she's ok with it.  So while more tractors are possible, there is a physical limit to how many I can stuff in my already crowded shop/storage building.

But I've been known to get creative in the past :-)

35 minutes ago, Snojetter said:

I should clarify that while my wife supports my hobby, she tells me that everything has to be stored indoors.  In other words, the neighbors or passersby can't see anything sitting outside as they cruise past.  I guess she doesn't want any grove tractors on the property.  So long as there's room in the shop, she's ok with it.  So while more tractors are possible, there is a physical limit to how many I can stuff in my already crowded shop/storage building.

But I've been known to get creative in the past :-)

Sounds like our wives and storage/capacity constraints are the same!  I used to store them in the basement, but when we moved we added a second garage.  That filled up, so I began stacking them.  Since I can't raise my roof, my last resort was to upgrade to an enclosed trailer...got 6 hiding in there now  =]  There's always a way when the right deal pops up!

• Like 1

Welcome to the club Kyle, its good to have you here. Linda requires the same of me so the limiting factor is space...  

Welcome to our 2nd home.

Nice selection of some real nice tractors you have there. Always good to get some fresh blood in the club.

Feel free to jump right into the great knowledge base we have here and join in the fun

Looking forward to hearing the  stories off all the different tractors that are sure to follow you home in the future!:D

Welcome to the Club. One thing about this group is we all have the same bug. If there is anything you have questions about there is somone on here that has the answer .

Tom

4 hours ago, spi said:

Would you describe our wives as enablers ?

Welcome

Jim

I'm ok with that!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Talntedmrgreen said:

There's always a way when the right deal pops up!

Don't I know it.  Just picked up this 7117 that I found on Craigslist.  I made the seller an offer a couple weeks ago that he declined.  I felt his asking price was fair, but not a dollar figure I wanted to pay when I didn't need another tractor...plus it wasn't the right shade of Orange.  Well, he got back to me saying he had reconsidered, so now I have this one tucked in the shop.  I think my dad is going to get this one as he's been struggling with a cheap Cub Cadet for a few seasons now.  This tractor is very clean and has been repowered with an M18.  Runs great and has a smooth hydro.  Being a hand lift, I'd like to convert it to an electric lift for him; but we'll see if he wants to put the money into that option.  There's an oil leak in the tranny somewhere that I need address though.  Look for a post on that in the "Talking Tractors" section.

Dare I say it that I found a second 7117 that seems too good of a deal to pass up, so I may have to report on that in the near future as well.

7117 4-14-2017 (3).jpg

7117 4-14-2017.jpg

Edited by Snojetter

1 hour ago, Snojetter said:

Dare I say it that I found a second 7117 that seems too good of a deal to pass up, so I may have to report on that in the near future as well.

Sounds to me that you have the same BUG that the rest of us have!  dOd

3 hours ago, spi said:

Do you really have a Snojet?

At one time, I had about 10 of them.  Used to be in the vintage sled hobby, and Sno*Jet was (still is actually) my brand of choice.  But one by one, I sold off my old sleds and moved onto other hobbies.  "Snojetter" has been my screen name for a long time, so I figured I'd just keep it going forward.

16 hours ago, Snojetter said:

At one time, I had about 10 of them.  Used to be in the vintage sled hobby, and Sno*Jet was (still is actually) my brand of choice.  But one by one, I sold off my old sleds and moved onto other hobbies.  "Snojetter" has been my screen name for a long time, so I figured I'd just keep it going forward.

Wow, it's been a while since I saw one of those. I used  to be into Evinrude Bobcats. Had a few of them and a couple of Capris gave them all to a snowmobile museum. Wish I had the best Capri with it's Hirth. would be just right hauling my saw and stuff into the woods. or for ice fishing for that matter.

I have an 02 600 liquid polaris now. Goes like crazy but not much good for towing stuff around.

Edited by spi

21 hours ago, PGL said:

I have a Mercury Lightning, does that qualify as vintage?

Since the Merc's haven't been made since the 70's, I'd say they qualify as vintage!  The old machines are fun to get out and putter around on.

On 4/19/2017 at 2:37 PM, spi said:

Wow, it's been a while since I saw one of those. I used  to be into Evinrude Bobcats. Had a few of them and a couple of Capris gave them all to a snowmobile museum. Wish I had the best Capri with it's Hirth. would be just right hauling my saw and stuff into the woods. or for ice fishing for that matter.

I have an 02 600 liquid polaris now. Goes like crazy but not much good for towing stuff around.

My wife and I have a more modern Cat and Polaris (they seem to get along ok parked next to each other), but we can't even get those out much anymore.  The snow just doesn't seem to pile up like I remember from the "old days."  I used to ride ALL the time...now the machines just sit in the garage for the most part.  

• Who's Online (See full list)

• littlemarv
    • Ronald Hribar
    • Tommysbuilders
    • NandoG
    • Austin
    • Tom45
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

As you know SimpletrACtors.com has changed some recently. Working through this so PM me with questions, suggestions, and/or challenges you have. Appreciate your patience and feedback.
      · 0 replies
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
  • Adverts