Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sam >>> Footrests

Dutch

Sam, Sorry you had a no sale. I may know what happened. The guys who "lurk" this board tell me they are taking their running boards off. They claim if they drag their feet on the ground they can pretend to be operating a real tractor.

Now Dutch, I've got running boards on a 3410-S parts tractor. You suppose if I put them on ol StinKy I could lose this "only air under your feet" stigma? Frankly I wouldnt know how to act with them in place. Dick

Ahhhhhhhh..........I see.... I should have listed the toe plates off the older tractors so these guys can retro fit their newer tractors!

Sam, One of the guys did retro fit the older toe plates. Poor soul. He was going downhill with an overloaded trailer, when it became a run-a-way. He tried to jump off, but didn't have anything to stand on and push to jump clear. I believe the running boards may have saved him.

I'm not biting... just saying that I've never had a tractor without running boards run away with me... coincidence, or not?

Kent, I should hope you haven't! You have plenty of experience with B-models. Please show some sympathy for those unfortunate wannabes who don't know how to use their feet.

There's a lesson to be learned in this thread. Since the only runaway I've had occured going downhill BACKWARD I dont know if a bail-off would have been to my benifit. I always mount/dismount on the right side. In the last few seconds of my "trip" the trailer jacknifed to the left and threw the tractor to the right side of the trail, probably just where I would have landed after jumping off. Also the tractor was VERY active during the "trip". Seriously doubt I could've stood on runningboards even if I'd had them. I just dug into those toe pegs and PRAYED!! Dick

Kent, Run-a-ways aren't the only problem. After the guy who took the running boards off got messed up, his 92 year old mother tried to finish the job. She drove that tractor many times without incident when it had running boards. Today she tried to dismount and had a problem. Just listen to her.

I went and ran my HB-116 with the tiller some yaesterday. That IS a different sensation having all that wide open area under your legs. Now I know what Fred Flintstone must feel like....... (I don't suppose you have a recording for him too do you Dutch?)