Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 707 broadmoor replacement parts

Johnny707

Hey just wondering where I can find original parts for my simplicity 707 broadmoor. I picked this up for $60 and it starts on first pull only problem is the pulleys on the mower deck seem to be a bit stiff but still free spinning. Once I engage the blades theres a loud screeching noise then the engine eventually shuts off. I'm in the process now of ripping the deck apart to free up the spindles some more. Anyways I looked on parts tree and eBay and most of the parts listed are just washers, nuts and bolts ect. I wanted to try and restore this beast back to original and any help either with a parts tractor for sale or a website I can buy the parts from would be appreciated. Also if anyone has any other ideas on what may be causing the engine to shut off once the blades are engaged, I would appreciate that as well.  Thanks

P.S. sorry for the pictures I just took a couple poor ones

IMG_2290.JPG

IMG_2291.JPG

IMG_2293.JPG

Nice looking machine. Welcome to the club. What is happening when you engage the deck, govenor not opening up, just die like you shut off key or not enough gas supply and dieing?

Hey thank you and to answer your question the engine just dies like I turned the key off. Like I mentioned before it makes a loud screeching noise then the engine shuts off. I'm not quite sure on what's going on.

Edited by Johnny707

Sounds to me like there is too much drag on the engine when you engage the PTO.  Either the belt is way too tight or the deck is binding up and causing it to stall.

I have 64, 65 and 66 Broadmoors, they all use the same parts except that the earliest ones had 6 horsepower engines and the 707 had a 7.
My 65 is nearly completely restored.  The 64 I plan on working on when I get more time but the 66 I stripped for parts.  Let me know what you need and I will look.  Parts are a bit scattered around my shop so I would have to do some searching.

Nice find.

Your tractor is in great condition for its age. Your mower deck likely needs new bearings in the spindles, also make sure the idler moves freely under the mower deck covers. The deck appears to be the original, and is probably a 32" deck. . These were pretty common tractors so you can look for a 36" deck from a 717, 727, 728, 738, 5008 Broadmoor. It will make lawn chores faster if you will use the tractor for that.. Parts are readily available, just list what you need in the wanted classified section. Have fun!

• Like 1

Thanks Tom.  I planned on changing the bearings and possibly the idler this weekend so I will keep you posted on if that solves my problem.  I do plan on using it to mow just not that often. Just enough to make sure everything is running properly so finding a bigger deck which I didn't know would fit would help out a lot. Thanks again.

Theniteowl thank you and I would like to see how you restored that 65.  I would love to bring mine back to its hay day as well. However, I would still like to use it every once in a while just to keep everything moving. The parts I was interested in is mostly cosmetic pieces. I wanted to find a replacement carburetor, original hub caps for the tires, new seat (which I might take somewhere to replace the cushion and leather), deck lever lowering linkage to name a few I can think of. I appreciate you taking a look for me and if there's any other parts I didn't mention and  you want to part with let me know we might be able to come to a deal. Thanks again 

Your tractor is incredibly clean looking. Doesn't appear to have more than a few nicks. I think it would be a real shame to strip it and paint it. Original tractors are very popular these days. Your seat is also in very good condition for its age and I have seen seats in similar condition sell for $60-$70 on eBay. The chrome hubcaps are NLA through Simplicity. Some people were using golf car hubcaps. I'm bot sure if you can still get them either.

Yeah that's true. I still however am undecided on what I want to do with it. I fixed the bearings this past weekend, which fixed the loud screeching noise and the engine cutting off and the tractor cuts the grass beautifully.  I am unsure whether to make it a show piece or to keep it in tact just fix the cosmetic pieces that bother me. The pictures aren't the greatest but I am missing one of the hub caps and the linkage from the deck to the lever looks to have been replaced 

If you want to take a poll, I'm for keeping it original.  The tractor looks GREAT in those photos!  Dings and scratches are just character that are part of the history of what that machine has been through in the past 50+ years.  I appreciate a fine restoration and shiny pain job, but specimen's in "as used" condition are much more interesting.

Regards,

Kyle Sands <>< Brandon, MN

• Like 1

Thanks I like it the way it is too but  don't you think it would look nice restored to the way it used to look? I will take better pictures tomorrow out of the garage.

I'm not seeing this "way it used to look" concept. It pretty much looks new other than maybe some aging and darkening of the paint and a few chips around the edges. These tractors had runs in the paint from new and weren't perfect showpieces. I could see maybe freshening up the mower deck, replacing the fuel gauge,  but overall the tractor looks very good. Some rubbing compound would clean up that white dash. These broadmoors aren't worth terribly much either so putting a lot of money into a restoration likely wouldn't pay off. The original tires even look pretty decent and you can't buy new tires that have the correct tread pattern.

The "way it used to look " concept came from viewing images online of nearly perfect older tractors with the thought of possibly doing something similar to mine. I agree that the tractor overall looks great and I was on the fence about restoring it. I didn't know they weren't worth that much so maybe now instead of spending a lot to restore I will just take your advice and freshen up some of the parts. Thanks for the comment.

If you want to restore a tractor to "like new", there are loads of worthy candidates.  Get another one and restore that while you use this. As Llyod would say, "Just my $.02"

Boy, that looks nice yet.  Must have had a caring owner.

I have an AC B207 equivalent to yours - doesn't look quite as nice as yours, but I used Go Jo hand cleaner on the chrome on mine, (cleans chrome well), and some rubbing compound, but it has LOTS more defects in the paint than yours does!  Nice to have it with the original tires.  I was fortunate that mine was in a family from new, just passed down.  Not perfect care over the years, some rust on the top where cans had been set on the hood, uses oil, but it did come with all the new owners brochures from the dealer, as well as the AC flyer that the first owner picked up from the dealer before he bought the tractor.  Just darn fun to mow with once in a while!

Hi,

Your tractor looks great!  As far as what to do, I would say whatever you like is the way to go.  I personally like them original when they are that  nice, but a totally redone one is always nice to see too.

I have a 627 that I use for my mowing and I love it.  If the one you are looking at is in any kind of decent shape at all, and with an original simplicity cart, I would jump on it.  I paid $60 for my cart many years ago and thought I got a good price on it.  If you do mow with it, I am sure you will love the look of your lawn.  In my opinion, those 32 inch 3 blade decks do a fantastic job.

Have fun!

Steve

The one on Craigs with a cart and 2 decks is a bargain. Jump on it before someone else does. As for your first one. It is too nice of an original to mess with it. Clean it up; repair any defects and enjoy it the way it is. They are only original once and not worth that much more after an expensive restoration.

Thanks I think after some debate I am going to keep the 707 the way it is. I might just clean it up a bit with some rubbing compound as some were saying and try to find another hubcap for the one front tire. 

As for the 627, I emailed the guy about picking it up this weekend. I am just waiting on a response. I will keep you all posted on if I get the 627 or not.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Could you advise me of a suitable air filter for my Simplcity Broadmoor Model 707 tractor I believe it is a 7 Hp Briggs & Stratton

Paul

On 7/27/2022 at 8:56 PM, Paul M.Murphy said:

Could you advise me of a suitable air filter for my Simplcity Broadmoor Model 707 tractor I believe it is a 7 Hp Briggs & Stratton

Paul

If you use the round foam air filter with the metal screen in the center, it is no longer available. A paper filter is the substitute.  Briggs Part # 496047.  

• Like 1